Decorating over damp patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While preparing our spare bedroom to be the new nursery I took down a picture and discovered the wall behind it to be covered in mould. On closer inspection, we observed several darker patches on the wall and discovered the source to be some broken guttering which has been slowly leaking water down the wall.

We have repapered and repainted the wall and new guttering is being installed tomorrow. However dark patches are starting to reappear on the wall again.

My question is: once the guttering has been repaired and the source of the damp removed, will the wall dry out on its own? How long will this take? The wife is starting to panic a bit (only 2 months to go) and would like me to repaint immediately, but I suspect that until the wall is dry this won't do much. Is there anything else I can be doing?

Can I apply products such as Stain Stop or Anti-Damp paint directly onto lining paper and then paint emulsion on top?

Sponsored Links
It will dry on its own, how long depends on air circulation & the temp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back