Decorative tiles and floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A couple of tiling questions if you don't mind?

1) We have tiled all our bathroom walls with 60x30, 10mm thick white ceramic tiles. We have left a rectangular strip free where we want to put some red decorative glass tiles in the middle. I bought some mirror adhesive as you can't use standard adhesive for them but they are 0.6mm, so adding the white ceramic tile + the adhesive together there is about 1cm to level up the decorative tiles to the white's surface. Is it OK to use mirror adhesive to 1cm depth to do this? The wall is plain gypsum plaster. Or do I need to pad the wall out with something? Could I pad the wall out with the normal tile adhesive and then bond to that with the mirror adhesive? These tiles were pricey so keen to know what is best.

2) The bathroom floor is concrete. There is no protection on it and we want to tile onto it. Do I need to PVA it before doing so?

Cheers!!

Sponsored Links
2. dont use pva on the floor, if its flat and lovely just go for it.

1. dont mix adhesives it negates buying an adhesive for any particuar job, so are you saying your 4mm short? you could pad out with the adhesive you bought, but bear in mind it will take a lot longer to dry than the rest of the tiles have done thta you already did.

regarding the decorative wall tiles because they are thinner than the ceramic wall tiles to either side we need to stick them so they are flush with the ceramic ones. my question is how best to do that. the mirror adhesive stuff is like sticky rubber and i am not sure if i am supposed to use a massive bead to make the tile come out from the wall or whether i should be putting some kind of layer on the wall to build it out first.

Sponsored Links
the reason i asked if you had 4 mm difference is because i was going to suggest for yourself you can buy from all good tile stores (and some sh*t ones) a mosaic leveller, basically you put it behind the tile / mosaic and it brings it out to the right level, the ones i have seen are 2 and 3 mm thick so you will still use more adhesive but you have a level field behind so you don't have to "hit and hope"

me personally would just use extra adhesive and level it that way but for someone who hasn't done it before look up the leveller

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back