Decorators caulk not setting properly in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed six downlights from my bathroom and then attached plasterboard discs in the holes using batten and screws. I then filled the gap around the discs with decorators caulk and left it to set.

Problem is the caulk isn't setting well - it's cracking away from the edges of the holes, and doesn't seem to be drying well. Looks like I need to scrape it out and replace it with something else, so what should I use? Just a standard filler, or is there something better?

Thanks for your help! :D

Sponsored Links
I would use a good quality plaster filler such as Toupret. Leave it to dry, sand carefully so it's flush with the surrounding area, mist-coat, then paint. You will get a much neater result than faffing around with caulk (which cannot be invisibly painted over in the middle of a ceiling).

I would use a good quality plaster filler such as Toupret. Leave it to dry, sand carefully so it's flush with the surrounding area, mist-coat, then paint. You will get a much neater result than faffing around with caulk (which cannot be invisibly painted over in the middle of a ceiling).

I completely agree...caulk is only good for perimeter pointing and filling. Anywhere else and the repair will always be visible. My pet hate has always been where a carpenter I know (no names, Pip!! :evil: ) has done an excellent job of fitting skirting, architrave, etc and then whacks a great big dollop of caulk into the fixing holes for me to 'sand' flush.

Personally, I like to use powder filler for the type of repair you have as it sets quicker and is easier to sand.

Sponsored Links
I know its an old post but for reference Should be taped and then skimmed with a joint filler really to prevent cracking in the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back