Deep Pointing Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a1920's semi for which the brickwork below the damp course needs repointing. I started to dig out the old mortar and found it so rotten that I penetrated the full length of the 8" screwdriver I was using. I reckon I was either uptown or nearly at the internal skirting board.
I am not experienced at this type of work, but reckon I will need to apply the mortar in layers in order for it to dry effectively. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.
I have a pointing trowel, but this will not allow the mortar to be forced in as far as it needs to go. Any advice as to what tool would be best to use would be welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about it drying. The longer it stays damp, the better it will set, it will then dry out eventually

Sponsored Links
I'd second the long finger trowel, but you'll really have to push it in to get it that deep, make the mortar nice and soft with plenty of plasticiser and just mix small batches.

I have a mortar gun and while it might be useful to get some mortar into the front part of the joint ready to be pushed back with the finger trowel I wouldn't trust it to squirt 8" back.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
apply the mortar in layers in order for it to dry effectively.

mortar does not harden and gain strength by drying out. It does it by a chemical reaction where water is absorbed and combines with the cement particles.

It actually gains more strength, the longer it is wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back