pointing stains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have a front garden wall that is old stock brick and needs repointing
i simply cannot avoid getting some mortar on the brick work due to the small gaps, and although i soaked the brick before starting and try my best to get any off it dries like a horrible white film all over the brickwork which is invisible when wet
i bought some GeoChem brick cleaner and this did bugger all to get it off

what can i do to get rid of this and more importantly, stop it from happening in the first place?

it looks bloody awful and i'm seriously at the point of considering rebuilding the wall!!!

Sponsored Links
White on brickwork is salts washed out by rain , only time will cure when they are all rinsed out, wetting the brickwork only helps the salts travel out.

I don't think it's efflorescence, just mortar stains (as when the mix has gone off there is a fine dust that remains on the surface, which just seems to stay on the brick no matter what I do to get it off and then when it goes off leaves a nice film of hard mortar dust)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back