Deep shower waste trap advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower waste trap isn't deep enough as I've had to put the tray on a bed of mortar. Are there traps that are deeper?
IMG20230604130931.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wow, how deep is the mortar? What size is the trap, 90mm?

You might need to use a vertical trap and elbow out the bottom with that setup but the fall on the waste run may be compromised

th

There as about 10mm of mortar plus 18mm ply. I'll take a look at the vertical trap. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Kinhell
What solution did you come up with in the end? I have exactly the same problem in a loft conversion. Infact I’m amazed more people haven’t encountered the identical issue with a standard flooring being 18mm and the recommended cement bed as you’ve stated …

Hi Kinhell
What solution did you come up with in the end? I have exactly the same problem in a loft conversion. Infact I’m amazed more people haven’t encountered the identical issue with a standard flooring being 18mm and the recommended cement bed as you’ve stated …
The solution is to do what Hugh suggested

Just an update, Not enough access to get the pipe/Spigot so Vertical trap was the correct solution

In my case there simply isn’t enough clearance to get a grip on the locking ring as it’s not clear of the actual flooring which is the issue the original poster had too

If you look at the pic in the OP - there's loads of space cut around the trap on the plinth top, the trouble the OP had was that the trap had a horizontal outlet and the waste pipe would foul on the plinth top if it was connected straight in.

Hence @Hugh Jaleak 's solution to use a 45deg spigot bend out from the trap outlet and then another lower down to flatten out the run. As can be seen in the pic though, no issue getting to the compression nut on the trap to tighten. That is exactly what the trap with a 45deg outlet offers.

If there isn't enough space to get fingers to the nut then a wider hole would need to be cut, either that or if the plinth top is too thick then the trap and waste etc would all need to be made up, connected and tested before it is offered up to the tray and secured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back