Defective DPC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bricklayer has installed a DPC on the inner skin of blockwork that leaves around 25mm of the block uncovered. I was concerned that this bridges the DPC and may allow rising damp to occur. He dismissed this and said that the gap is to allow for a key and avoid a slip plane (and it’s all perfectly normal).

Can I please have your thoughts?

IMG_2240.PNG

IMG_2237.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your bricklayer is wrong, and your concern is justified.

It doesn't look like he's bedded the DPC on either, which is wrong too.

And for the outer leaf, all the brick frogs should be filled before bedding the DPC on.

Thanks for your advice Woody, not what I wanted to hear but much appreciated!

I've got building control coming out to have a look on Monday. My guess is that we can live with the lack of mortar bed under the DPC if we have to, but the uncovered inner block will be a problem that needs to be solved. At the moment most of the blockwork is up to 6/7 courses (both skins), I'm dreading the possibility that it may all need to come down!

Whilst I appreciate that it hasn't been done correctly, is there any way of remediating or mitigating this that you can suggest, that doesn't involve starting from scratch?

Do you think some form of tanking or chemical injection above the defective DPC may be an option, or am I clutching at straws!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back