Definitely no moss gathered.

• Thread starter Lincsbodger
  • Start date
Looks like Rooneys training ball. I know he can hit them hard, but.....? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Is it God playing marbles?

Do rocks on the moon land slower due to the lower gravity?

slower than what?

I suppose that they would compared to an earth type planet with no atmosphere ( so no decelleration due to friction with the air )
then assuming the same approach speed, the accelleration due to gravity wouldn't be as strong so it wouldn't be sped up as much.

I'm wondering why it bounced rather than vaporised as it would on earth.

no atmosphere to heat it up........ thats why the moon is covered in craters, everything incoming get sto ground level. On the other hand, we on earth have an atmosphere that burns everything up on the way down, unless its the size of a bus.

Since its not hot when it hits the surface, no vaporisation can take place.

It's the kinetic energy released on the impact that vaporises it - not because it gets warm on the way down. That's why the moon isn't strewn with large boulders.

Also, the Earth would be covered in craters too if we didn't have any weather.

Sponsored Links
So this has fallen off the rim of a crater which surrounds the small crater ithas landed in.
What caused it to fall?
Do they have siesmic trembles on the moon?
Did an underground river cause a subsidence?
Was a Moonman collecting for his 'rock' garden?

So many unanswered questions! :eek:

:LOL: :LOL:

And I've just posted my 5,555 post! :eek:
Truly amazing! :LOL:

According to NASA, it's either a small impact or a moonquake that has dislodged it form the crater rim. But, until they send McAlpines men in they won't really know. ;) ;) ;)

It's the kinetic energy released on the impact that vaporises it - not because it gets warm on the way down. That's why the moon isn't strewn with large boulders.

Its a combination of the two. It helps when your about to explode if your already at 1200 C. And bearing in mind the moon has 1/6G then its kinetic energy is only 1/6th as well, because its gravitational acceleration is only 1/6th, because Kinetic energy is the work required to accelerate an object to a given speed.

So this has fallen off the rim of a crater which surrounds the small crater ithas landed in.
What caused it to fall?
Do they have siesmic trembles on the moon?
Did an underground river cause a subsidence?
Was a Moonman collecting for his 'rock' garden?

So many unanswered questions! :eek:

:LOL: :LOL:

And I've just posted my 5,555 post! :eek:
Truly amazing! :LOL:

that's a nice round figure. don't post any more and it will stay all neat and tidy :LOL:

Any pics of the moon landing sites turned up yet????

there was a moon impact not long ago, the LRO was re-tasked to photo it, passed over the spot 90 seconds after the impact..
have a look on the LRO website..

Kinetic energy is the work required to accelerate an object to a given speed.

no it's not, kinetic energy is the energy an object that is moving has..

if it's already hurtling through space at 5000 miles a second then even with no accelleration from the moon's gravity, it will still impact at 5000 miles a second..

if it's already hurtling through space at 5000 miles a second then even with no accelleration from the moon's gravity, it will still impact at 5000 miles a second..

nope. read and learn.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/ke.html[/QUOTE]

You are both very close with your description, kinetic energy has nothing to do with the initial moving of an object.

If something is stationary, eg a brick on the floor it has potential energy which is the opposite of kinetic energy. Now if i was to pick that brick up and throw it, the potential energy would turn into kinetic energy. Anything that moves will have kinetic energy, whether it is vibration kinetic, rotation kinetic, or translational kinetic.

Basically, kinetic energy is the energy of motion, of something moving

nope. read and learn.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/ke.html[/QUOTE]

You are both very close with your description, kinetic energy has nothing to do with the initial moving of an object.

If something is stationary, eg a brick on the floor it has potential energy which is the opposite of kinetic energy. Now if i was to pick that brick up and throw it, the potential energy would turn into kinetic energy. Anything that moves will have kinetic energy, whether it is vibration kinetic, rotation kinetic, or translational kinetic.

Basically, kinetic energy is the energy of motion, of something moving

its also the work required to accelerate or decelerate an object. If you have kinetic energy, any change in your velocity requires you to do work or exert work. It hurts when you step in front of a moving bus because the kinetic energy of the bus does work on you as it slows down and you accelerate from zero. So technically, its a measure of the work required to change velocity. The kinetic energy arise as a consequence of the net work done on the object. In this case its called Translational Kinetic Energy, as opposed to Rotational Kinetic Energy.

KE = 1/2 MV^2

go read the damn link.

Sponsored Links
Back