Deflecting rain running down wall above a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had an extension completed to the back of our house. We have 3 sets of French doors in the back wall which are set back from the rebate by about an inch. When it rains, water can run down the wall and drip from above the door and hit the door sill. It's not leaking but I would like to fit something as inconspicuous as possible above the door to make the water drip off slightly further from the house so it misses the door sill.

Can anyone suggest a product or a way of doing this? I would imagine there's a proprietry product on the market for this but I've no idea what it's called.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Never had this problem but maybe a door weather bar (normally fitted to the outside door bottom) fitted above the door might help?

Or some timber, then covered with flashing which is tucked into the pointing, to make a tiny bay window type thing- decorative would be relatively easy

Assuming a 150mm cill and a 70mm frame and the frame set back 25mm by my calculations the cill over hangs by 50mm so anything you fix above to clear rain will need to be at least 50mm so won't be inconspicuous as you might think.

Sponsored Links
Anything other than a proper canopy won't be very effective, any bit of wind will just blow it back on to the cill, try earplugs. A bit of sponge stuck to the cill may work though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back