Dell Print Cartridges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Dell system which came with a Dell A920 all-in-one printer/scanner. I'm happy with the quality of it both for printing and scanning, and want to keep it if possible.

However, it has now run out of ink in both cartridges. The dialog box that appears cheerfully tells me "Replacement cartridges only available from Dell, click here to order", however Dell's website want £44.65 to replace them. :eek:

I have noticed, however, that there is a printer on the market by Lexmark that looks incredibly similar to mine. I'm wondering if Dell's version is just re-branded (in the same way Honda and Rover cars were the same in the 90s), and if I could use an equivalent Lexmark cartridge? If so what product code am I looking for?

Otherwise, it looks like I will be buying a new printer. I don't really want to, because I will still have to keep the current one (I do use the scanner quite often) and find more desk space for a new printer. But Adsa have Lexmark photo quality printers for £26 which is obviously preferable to paying £45 for cartridges.

Sponsored Links
I think you may be correct with your Lexmark clone theory. Not a lot of difference in the cartridges either (if any)

Could try here Click or Click

I think from reading other letters on same subject, Cutting off a small piece of plastic on the printer the Lexmark or compatables will fit.

JonB

I have found this on ebay, do you think I'm asking for trouble using unbranded remanufactured ones?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Cheap inkjet printer are really like disposable cameras. Its nearly always cheaper to get a new printer than it is to buy replacement cartridges. What a crazy world we live, especially when we are told to recyle and be green. :confused:

I always go to the JR inkjet website and refill cartridges, can be messy but dead cheap and quality isnt bad either. http://www.jrinkjet.co.uk/

Lexmark make printers for Dell. In fact, I don't think Dell actually make any of their own components (but don't quote me).

The A920 is, I believe a Lexmark X1150, but as Jonb has suggested, they re-keyed the ink cartridges so they aren't compatible (without modification).

It is sad, but for some reason, printer ink is one of the most expensive substances known to man. You can buy the X1150 for a similar price to buying new ink.

Well, I decided not to buy the compatible "el-cheapo" cartridges from eBay or mess about trying to cut bits off the A920.

Bought a brand new Lexmark Z515 this morning for £28.97 from Asda and very happy with it so far. A920 demoted to scanning duties only!

ninebob said:
Well, I decided not to buy the compatible "el-cheapo" cartridges from eBay or mess about trying to cut bits off the A920.

Bought a brand new Lexmark Z515 this morning for £28.97 from Asda and very happy with it so far. A920 demoted to scanning duties only!

It is important not to let the cartridges run dry 'cos once they do they're knackered. I have the same Dell printer (A920) but bought one of the Inkjet refill kits (as NS recommends) as the black cartridge was getting low (as the graphic on the monitor indicates when printing). Filling the cartidge is a bit fiddly and you'd be advised to use latex gloves as the stuff is a bugger to get off. I have only filled the black cartridge currently not the coloured one - three holes have to be made in the colour cartridge - but I will do that in due course.

I am, though, perplexed at Dell's marketing strategy in charging such a premium for cartridges. What they have done in your case is to have lost a printer customer to Lexmark....so what's the point? When I was searching out replacement cartridges a few months back I could not find any remanufactured types available. What I did find was that Dell had sought an injunction against a company trying to produce such in America...and they won! In the spiritual home of free enterprise as well! So I am a bit surprised to see that they are available over here. Anyway, good luck with the Lexmark...it's a good price.

Sponsored Links
Back