Delta T confusion

W

wantolearn

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am trying to figure out why a radiator has to be sized larger when the deltaT is increased from 10c to 20c.
It would seem the flow rate is reduced by half when detaT is reduced from 10 to 20c, my thinking would be to increase the flow rate rather than decrease the flow rate , can someone explain please.
Am i right in thinking the pipework should increase in size in order to carry more water through the system when increasing delta T from 10 to 20c? , would the boiler outpput have any bearing on delta T changes?. seems my thinking would indicate smaller radiators to be fitted if the water is giving up 20c of it's heat as opposed to 10c.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
To increase the delta T you have to reduce the flowrate. Which allows the water to spend more time in the radiator and give up more heat.
Increasing the radiator size gives more surface area, which also allows the water to give up more heat.
So you've got it the wrong way around.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am trying to figure out why a radiator has to be sized larger when the deltaT is increased from 10c to 20c.
The quoted output of a rad is measured under strict conditions: Flow=75C, Return=65C and Room=20C. The mean rad temperature is therefore 70C and the room/rad difference is 50C. If the flow is maintained at 75C and the return reduced to 55C, the mean rad temperature is now 65C and the room/rad difference is 45C. The amount of heat given off by the rad is therefore reduced (Newton's Law of cooling). A rad running at 75/55 only produces 85% of its stated output. You therefore have to oversize the rad by 1/0.85 = 1.17 or 17% to produce the required amount of heat.

It would seem the flow rate is reduced by half when deltaT is reduced from 10 to 20c, my thinking would be to increase the flow rate rather than decrease the flow rate , can someone explain please.
DeltaT is the difference between the temperature of the water as it enters the radiator and as it leaves the rad. The reason for the drop in temperature is that the water has given off heat while it is in the rad. So the longer the water is in the rad, the more heat it can give off and the greater the DeltaT. So the slower the water travels through the rad, the greater the temperature drop.

Am i right in thinking the pipework should increase in size in order to carry more water through the system when increasing delta T from 10 to 20c?
It's exactly the opposite. Because the water is travelling slower though the pipes, there is less friction so the pipes can be made be made smaller.

See Small Bore heating Systems
and
Copper Tubes in Domestic Heating Systems

would the boiler output have any bearing on delta T changes?.
Not really. The output of a boiler can be calculated from kW= 4.18 x DeltaT x Flow rate (litres/sec). So a Delta T of 20C an flow of 1l/sec will produce the same output as a DeltaT of 10C and flow of 2l/sec.

The size of the boiler is determined from the actual amount of heat required. So if the heat loss from the house is 10kW you install a 10kW boiler, even if the nominal output of the rads is 11.7kW, say 12kW (10kW increased by 17% for running at a 20C differential).

The size of the boiler is determined from the actual amount of heat required. So if the heat loss from the house is 10kW you install a 10kW boiler, even if the nominal output of the rads is 11.7kW, say 12kW (10kW increased by 17% for running at a 20C differential).

Could you please explain the 17% to me in laymans terms?

If a boiler is sized for a heat load of 30kw with a delta T of 10c (.714 l sec) , what would be the effect when using a delta T of 20c,would the boiler overheat?

Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Could you please explain the 17% to me in laymans terms?
If you run a rad with a nominal output of 10kW at temperatures of 75C and 55C is will only give of 85% of the stated output, i.e 8.5kW. So you have to install rads which are nominally 10/8.5 = 1.18 times larger, say 1.2, i.e 12kW rads. The 12kW rads will then produce 12 x 0.85 = 10.2kW.

If a boiler is sized for a heat load of 30kw with a delta T of 10c (.714 l sec) , what would be the effect when using a delta T of 20c,would the boiler overheat?
The flow rate will halve, but the output will stay the same. So why should it overheat?

Unless you have a very large, old, poorly insulated house I wouldn't expect you to have a heat load of 30wW! Or is that just a number plucked out of the air?

The flow rate will halve, but the output will stay the same. So why should it overheat?

How can the output remain the same when the flow rate is halved? this is my confusion 30 kw boiler with a delta T of 10c would require .714 l/s ,deltaT at 20c would require .357 l/s.

Surely if the 30kw boiler is designed for a flow rate of .714 l/s at 10c deltaT then halveing this would not allow enough water to flow through the heat exchanger which could overheat/cycle?

30kw is just an example.

Thanks.

How can the output remain the same when the flow rate is halved? this is my confusion 30 kw boiler with a delta T of 10c would require .714 l/s ,deltaT at 20c would require .357 l/s.
The boiler produces 30kW of heat, but it's the radiators which use up the heat. If you halve the flow rate and double the temperature drop, the boiler's heat output will stay the same.

Surely if the 30kw boiler is designed for a flow rate of .714 l/s at 10c deltaT then halving this would not allow enough water to flow through the heat exchanger which could overheat/cycle?
That's correct; I was thinking of modern boilers designed for a 20C DeltaT. If they are run with a 10C DeltaT the flow rate will double, so the hex will not overheat. The only problem then is that the resistance will increase considerably, meaning a larger pump will have to be installed.

Boiler manufacturers are often reluctant to state the DeltaT used when measuring boiler outputs. You can sometimes work it out from other info.

Do trv,s have any effect on a radiators ability to to reach the required,delta t.
personally i have little time for trv,s,except when they are fitted to the top radiator connection so more mature people (like me) can easily control heat at ease.
some trv makers should be advised that their products need to be suitable for folk with less strength (not like me) so they are able to rotate the control without to much effort.sorry a rant. :eek:

Do trv,s have any effect on a radiators ability to to reach the required,delta t.
personally i have little time for trv,s,except when they are fitted to the top radiator connection so more mature people (like me) can easily control heat at ease.
some trv makers should be advised that their products need to be suitable for folk with less strength (not like me) so they are able to rotate the control without to much effort.sorry a rant. :eek:

We fit TRVs, lots of TRVs. But I believe they're ball.x!!! I read a couple of years ago that in British homes we mostly blast our houses twice a day, TRVs will either never kick in with undersized rads or kick in too soon with oversized rads. With convection heat, the ceiling is the warmest place in the room, not us sitting just above the floor. Another reason UFH is the dog's danglers.

they are in my mind only useful to control very basic heat requirements and require the end user to constantly alter their settings to suit their desired room temperatures.
i have water underfloor heating in a property in the netherlands and last years cold,very cold outside temperatures made me recognize the effect of underfloor heat.
the property was always very comfortable and all my guests from uk were amazed at how comfortable it was.
regards.

Provided the system has been correctly designed and properly balanced a TRV should have no effect on the rads ability to reach the required DeltaT. However, don't expect the rad to maintain a constant DT, it will vary.

some trv makers should be advised that their products need to be suitable for folk with less strength (not like me) so they are able to rotate the control without to much effort.
I can never understand the need to keep fiddling with the TRVs. I set mine years ago and haven't touched them since. The house maintains a constant 21C in the winter.

If you are having continually to turn a TRV up and down, it means either the system is not properly designed (rads too small) or the rads have not been correctly balanced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back