Demolish Retaining Wall and Replace/ Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.
I realise there will be various factors that may alter price etc. I have a 7x1.8m brick retaining garden wall. It has gaps made to look decorative but actually function to allow wind through as we’re on a corner.
It is starting to lean and brickwork is becoming loose as a result. Obviously it needs replacing as it’s dangerous as it is.

I’m thinking about what can be done and as funds are tight want to go with the cheapest option. I can either demolish the existing wall and replace, would they need to dig out and make new foundations or use existing if they’reok?

Or demolish and replace with fencing. Or take the wall down to say 60cm with fence on top (have no experience if this sort of thing is durable etc).

My real question is what sort of costs will be likely (ball park figure) in both scenarios?
TIA

Sponsored Links
Suspect the cheapest option (sadly) is to demolish entirely and replace with fencing. Reducing the wall height and then adding fencing on top is a nice idea, but the wall would probably not safely support 60mm fence panels; you could fix the panels via posts fixed in front of the wall but you might struggle to get decent post footings. You may possibly be able to add brick piers to the existing wall to provide additional support.

Thanks Drillbit. Yes presumed that fencing would be the cheapest option. Don’t suppose you’d be able to hazard a guess as to price would you ? And presumably that would include digging out the foundations first?

Am I missing something here? What is it retaining if you can contemplate just replacing it with a fence?

Sponsored Links
I’m calling it a retaining wall but basically it’sa garden wall. It’s not retaining anything. It’s just my misunderstanding having seen the word used and seemed to apply to garden walls. Sorry.

A 7m long wall would become three 6x6 fence panels + concrete posts and gravel boards. Google Wickes or independent stockists in your local area for further information.

A 7m long wall would become three 6x6 fence panels + concrete posts and gravel boards. Google Wickes or independent stockists in your local area for further information.
We’ll be having some one to do the work so wondered about cost of labour for the job.

We’ll be having some one to do the work so wondered about cost of labour for the job.
Depends on the challenges involved - estimate two-thirds of total cost for a rough number to work on.

Two thirds of the total cost of the materials? Seems quite low to demolish and dig out foundations and put up fencing ??

Best get another panel otherwise you will end up with a 1.3m ish gap

It's easier to judge with a picture. I prefer a longer panel to avoid the edges looking 'stuck on'.

Two thirds of the total cost of the materials? Seems quite low to demolish and dig out foundations and put up fencing ??
No, for a 'ball park' figure the materials cost is a third of the total cost.

But for your job it quite easily be a lot more than that. Depends on how much surplus rubble is generated and it's disposal. How long it takes to demolish and dig out. What is needed for reinstatement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back