Denibbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have heard that denibbing is a good thing to do after each coat of finish so I wanted to get some advice on where to get the pads from and what sort of grits?

I am looking at using a coloured version of this Osmo Wood Wax: https://www.osmouk.com/sitechaptern.cfm?bookid=Products&chapter=82&page=373

As I haven't done this before I presume that you just run a cloth or pad of sorts over the finish gently to give the silky smooth finish?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
That looks like its just sand paper? Is that the same as a denibbing pad then?

I honestly have no idea I have just read about doing it after putting on a finish so I figured I would ask :)

Sponsored Links
That looks like its just sand paper? Is that the same as a denibbing pad then?

I honestly have no idea I have just read about doing it after putting on a finish so I figured I would ask :)
Denibbing is a process to remove nibs -when a varnish is applied to wood the grain is raised so it feels rough when the varnish has dried -hence the need for fine abrasive (abrasive isnt made wit sand these days!).

If you just applying a liquid or solid wax, or oil, that doesnt raise the grain so does not need denibbing.

If you want the was to be worked into the the wood, then apply with a fine grade wire wool.

Thank you so does that mean with the product I am looking at using I would need to use a fine grade wool?

After some searching around I found these which I thought were denibbing pads: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p3...MI5fny2K3i3QIVLLftCh0_RgoBEAQYASABEgIshvD_BwE

Which is why I was surprised when you posted your EBay link. So if I understand correctly denibbing pads are basically any soft sanding pads at the required grit?

Thanks

James

That links to 100g pads but below are finer ones.
The higher the number , the finer the sanding.

Thanks so they are denibbing pads as well?

So if I understand correctly denibbing pads are basically any soft sanding pads at the required grit?

Also as the instructions on the tin say to sand the bare wood to 120 grit so I would need to use the same grit between coats and then like 600 grit after the final coat?

Thanks

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back