Denso on shower drain joint

A

AlexCarp

Denso tape is supposed to seal up low pressure joints like drains. I know it is used as a temporary repair on gas joints. When shower traps drop into ceiling voids there is always a compression joint with a rubber seal to take the 40mm pipe. Denso promote their tape to temporally seal waste joints. This shower joint can eventually leak and then a big job to repair with a ceiling coming down. Has anyone used denso around the joint on the shower trap to ensure "if" the rubber seal fails there will be no leaks? A belt and braces approach.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't like to have to repair a trap that was smothered in denso tape.

Great stuff for wrapping pipes to prevent corrosion I used to live near the factory and got reduced council tax because it was nearby never any problems but cheap rates result!

Have you ever used it 'cos it's the most messy tape in the world, you need to smooth it around the pipe afterwards gloves just don't work, bare hands and white sprit to clean them was the only way I managed. I found it can only be cut with a hacksaw blade snips etc just don't work.

As said it would be a nightmare to work on afterwards, I did know a guy that tried it on his car exhaust it caught fire!

Just trust your plastic joint unless you are maybe encasing it in concrete.

Sponsored Links
""Denso promote their tape to temporally seal waste joints""

I'd also suggest play-dough for the same job but only a dreamer would consider it as a substitute for doing the job correctly.

My recollection is that Denso tape has only three uses -
a) as a means of preventing corrosion on pipe surface
b) for preventing ingress of water on unsuitably IP rated electrical boxes
c) for "tarring" guys on the night before their wedding
(not so often seen these days)

Here is a copy of the Denso Tape data sheet

http://www.denso.net/datasheets/TDS145.pdf

There is absolutely NO reference as to its use as a sealing tape for the prevention of leakage from a "pressure" system.

Anyone using for purposes other than those listed in the manufacturer's data sheet is on their own.

There is absolutely NO reference as to its use as a sealing tape for the prevention of leakage from a "pressure" system.

Anyone using for purposes other than those listed in the manufacturer's data sheet is on their own.

Another maker does state it can be used for waste pipe fixes. It is used for very temporary gas pipe fixes as been stated.

To others who did not get the original post. The idea is to use it as belt and braces, not cover up cowboy work. If a rubber seal weeps after say ten years, the tape would hold it and no ceiling coming down to fix the weep. I have used the tape and know of its yukky qualities. But it does work and stays effective for decades. I have seen some gas pipe dug up under a cement floor after 50 years and the tape was still soft and effective.

Another maker does state it can be used for waste pipe fixes. It is used for very temporary gas pipe fixes as been stated.

To others who did not get the original post. The idea is to use it as belt and braces, not cover up cowboy work. If a rubber seal weeps after say ten years, the tape would hold it and no ceiling coming down. I have used the tape and know of its yukky qualities. But it does work and stays effective for decades. I have seen some gas pipe dug up under a cement floor after 50 years and the tape was still soft and effective.

Its defo the dogs danglies, great stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back