Leaking shower/basin waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My shower has started leaking through the ceiling. I've pulled away the panels under the shower tray and it is leaking from the waste pipe at the compression join to a T-joint.

The guy who put it in basically tried to build a fall so that all the waste entering the T-joint from the shower and basin wastes run in one direction. I think that this has stressed the joint causing the O-ring to deform and be unable to form an effective seal. It has only been installed 2 weeks but he is claiming that he tested for leaks so it's something I've done and he is now not taking my calls.

I'm wondering if there is some king of liquid sealant I can whack around the O-ring before tightening it up or even putting silicon around the O-ring before tightening.

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
It should last longer than 2 weeks, tell him to come & fix it or you’ll report him to trading standards. Waste pipes are supposed to be supported to prevent straining the joints. Just cos he tested it & it wasn’t leaking at the time doesn’t mean anything, he has no excuse if the pipe work is not supported in accordance with recommendations & Building Regulations for that matter. Your comment about “tried to make a fall” also leads me to think he’s bodged it but difficult to say without pictures, it’s either correct or it isn’t. Teeing into the basin waste is not a good idea & actually doesn’t comply with Building Regs (if that’s what he’s done); what size is the pipe work & how long is run before it enters the soil stack?

The pipe work should always be correctly installed, whatever you bodge it with is likely to give more problems in the future.

cowboy plumber, Get him back or get a reputable firm to fix it and bill him . Cant really say without a pic whats happened , if your sure its just the ring there are numerous types , best bet to take it to local merchants and they will sort you out . To be honest off hand would say theres prob not enough slip into fitting and or needs clipped as well . You sure he was a plumber !

I got him off ratedpeople.com

He did the whole bathroom which included tiling from ceiling to floor, fitting shower, basin, toilet and heated towel rail. I wouldn't use him again as on closer inspection he clearly has no pride in his work.

Here are some photos I took

http://www.curium.org.uk/images/shower/shower2.jpg

http://www.curium.org.uk/images/shower/shower1.jpg

You can see a drip coming from the compression join on the T-joint on the 2nd picture.

If it's a simple fix I'd rather do it myself as from my communications with him I don't think he's going to cooperative. I will however alter my feedback for him on Ratedpeople.com so that other people are warned.

Sponsored Links
I've just put this guys corgi number into the corgi website and he's registered as Professor Plumb!
:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back