Need I use sealant on plumbing joints?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it necessary to add sealing stuff to plumbing joints or is it just "belt and braces" for us amateurs.
I have used ptfe tape on screw fittings but do I need sealant on the cold water feed from the header tank and should I use anything extra on the olives of compression fittings?
Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
should I use anything extra on the olives of compression fittings?

Quite often compression joints will seal without any assistance. It's not bad practice to use a bit of jointing compound on the olive though (Water Hawk or similar)

You shouldn't need any extra. Like you say its a belt and braces thing.
Most plumbers I find will only use an additional sealant on compression if its giving them problems.

Sponsored Links
I heard of people running PTFE tape round the olive and pipe end before final fix, and it seems to work well for me. You have to trial-assemble first and tighten the nut enough that the olive stays in place on the pipe while you tape it.

I am a householder not a pro

You won't find professional plumbers using PTFE tape on olives. A light smear of joining compound (eg. Boss White) if you must.

PTFE tape is used where one fitting screws into another fitting (eg radiator tail into a radiator). The PTFE stops fluids running through the tiny gap between the threads.

With a compression joint, the olive forms the seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back