Depth of cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys have just changed a one way switch to a two way switch and added a second switch at the other side of the room. I got the info off the reference section, all is well with the installation now i need to run the cables in the wall. The wall is a plastered internal brick wall what depth do i need to go too ? and am i right in thinking i dont need capping because it is a vertical run, So when i have the required depth i can plaster over.

Thank you

P_S The reference section was extremely helpful.

Sponsored Links
Correct. You do not need to additionally protect cables that are embedded in plaster and run vertically to the accessory. If you're lucky, the depth of the original plaster will be sufficient for you to bury the new cable in - otherwise you'll need to chase into the brickwork a little. There's no actual prescribed depth - chase out whatever is needed to cover the cable and/or capping, so long as it does not exceed 1/3 the total depth of that wall-leaf. (1/6 depth is the maximum for horizontal runs.)

I would always use capping as a matter of course, but it is not essential. By the way, it provides protection from plasterers tools only and can never be considered as adequate protection for unconventional cable runs.

Be nice to someone and leave the cables so that they can be pulled through to replace them when it becomes necessary.

Sponsored Links
sjtaylor_199 said:
So when i have the required depth i can plaster over.
I've just done a load of this, and the best advice I got (from this site) was to use plasterer's bonding (adhesive for dot & dabbing), to bury the cables before having the plasterer do his thing. I'd always tried to use filler before (!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back