depth of sokets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any help on what patress reqd for new build when installing ring main and light patresses before walls are plastered. :evil:

Sponsored Links
greaseball said:
any help on what patress reqd for new build when installing ring main and light patresses before walls are plastered. :evil:

16mm (or 25) for lights, 25mm for sockets... i thought this was kinda obvious?

what my question was badly worded should have mentioned is when doing 1st fix do you have to sink the 25mm patress into brickwork so the plasterer can finish flush with box, basically how thick is the plaster from brick to finished coarse?

greaseball said:
what my question was badly worded should have mentioned is when doing 1st fix do you have to sink the 25mm patress into brickwork so the plasterer can finish flush with box, basically how thick is the plaster from brick to finished coarse?

you can leave the box proud of the brickwork, but make sure its far back so that the plaster will cover it. the box can be set back further that the plaster, but youlll probably need longer socket bolts for it

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
you can leave the box proud of the brickwork, but make sure its far back so that the plaster will cover it. the box can be set back further that the plaster, but youlll probably need longer socket bolts for it
And make a note of where they are - a friend of mine once had a plasterer completely cover all the boxes.... :eek:

Might be an idea to ask if the plasterer is using plasterboard on dabs as you would mount back boxes straight on the wall, or use dryline boxes.

ban-all-sheds said:
And make a note of where they are - a friend of mine once had a plasterer completely cover all the boxes.... :eek:

Reminds me of an ntl story...

Our family has some good friends, who unfortunatly had to move quite far away due to a posting with the RAF, the rented their house out, and lived in a house on the RAF base where they were based. We often did odd jobs on the house between tenents, as we lived near, just basic maintainance, sweeping the garden, changing broken light fittings, etc one of the things we needed to do was replace the water stop tap, simple enough, except we couldn't find the stop tap in the street, after digging over the grass verge to no avail (incase the grass had grown over it), where the soil had been moved near the edge of the verge, I noticed something metallic under the tarmac...you guessed it, when ntl had installed cable television to the area, when they made the pavement good again, they had completely covered the pit which contained the stop top with tarmac :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back