2 gang socket patresse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just bought a Victorian house and the ring mains are inadequate, I think they were last updated in the 1980s. So I need to replace them.

As I'm not a qualified Electrician, (although I used to be an Electrical Engineer), what I do is run the cables then get an Electrician in to wire up the Consumer Unit, test the circuitry and issue a Safety Cert.

What I have is lime plastered walls with plaster from about 15mm up to 25mm thickness, as I'm not keen on cutting out brick to make room for 25mm patresses, I'm wondering if there's a spacer or bezel out there that will fit around the patresse so I don't need to make 25mm deep recesses for the points I want to instal.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
it depends how sound your plaster is, and how hard your bricks are, but consider hiring a box sinker. I've been OK with soft London yellow stocks, but the internal brickwork may include seconds and overburned bricks, which can be very hard. Stone can be approximately impossible.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-ebs-double-box-sinker/64983

and an SDS+ drill with rotostop.

You need to agree the division of responsibilities with the electrician who will certify the installation BEFORE you start work.

BTW they are backboxes, not pattresses, which are different.

Sponsored Links
TTC, looking at the attached video, the Schneider accessories look very slim and might allow the OP to use a shallower box. I haven't seen that optional LED indicator before.

What I have is lime plastered walls with plaster from about 15mm up to 25mm thickness, as I'm not keen on cutting out brick to make room for 25mm patresses, I'm wondering if there's a spacer or bezel out there that will fit around the patresse so I don't need to make 25mm deep recesses for the points I want to instal.
If you are contemplating (and are prepared to accept the appearance of) sockets which are 'sticking out from the wall surface a bit', have you considered using a standard 25mm surface pattress/box (which, from what you've said, would then stick out a maximum of 10mm)?

Kind Regards, John

John, thanks, I had considered it, but I think they'd protrude by varying amounts, not keen but maybe :D I might just have to cut out some brick for the shallow ones. There may not be too many. I'll know when I cut out the plaster.

cheers and thanks for the comment.

The trouble with those spacer things is they all rely on the metal backbox already being flush/recessed with the finished surface, a sticking out metal box will not work with it. I've never seen a double box less than 25mm deep, except one where someone had turned 2 16mm switch boxes into a double box, by cutting/bending them then pop riveting the 2 parts together!

My first choice would be to chase the boxes in the wall and get a skilled builder/plasterer who is familiar with your wall type to repair.
I've been known to chase boxes into horrid walls such as stone and rock hard bricks, it just takes a bit longer and a bit more effort, but will be well worth it in the end. Even if you pay an electrician or builder to chase it for you.

Thanks Echo, I do have a double box cutter, and I have used it in the past. I don't like them much. It is do-able but i was just trying to cheat, (a little). :D

Thanks Taylor, I'll get one and have a play with it and see if it works for me.
cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back