Is this ok for moving a kitchen switch panel and double socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ll be fitting a new kitchen soon and my hob will be moving. The new location for the hob will be underneath my current 3 gang kitchen switch panel (Washing Machine, Dishwasher, Fridge Freezer) and too close to a current double gang (pictured) so both will need moving about 700mm to the right.

The are on an outside wall so will need channeling out I assume but the wall will be tiled afterwards.

I was going to use Wago 221 connectors to connect the extra length of cable in the back box and channel it to a new box and socket etc. but would appreciate some advice on the best way of doing this job.
365B2744-2F87-4260-8AB5-094C9ED14C74.jpeg

I should state I’m not a qualified electrician but I’m confident and competent enough to do this. I just want to make sure it’s done correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As you are fitting a new kitchen,

start again; putting the accessories in their optimum locations and rewire so there are no hidden connections.

As you are fitting a new kitchen,

start again; putting the accessories in their optimum locations and rewire so there are no hidden connections.

I did consider that, but as it’s only going less than a couple of feet I thought it would be less work than a rewire?

Perhaps, but the purpose of a new kitchen is not to cause as little work as possible.

That would be NOT having a new kitchen. :)

Sponsored Links
I think the problems are safe zones of cables.

If you plaster over the old locations you don’t know where the vertical cable drops are when you have a drill in your hand.

Using blank covers would resolve this

I think the problems are safe zones of cables.

If you plaster over the old locations you don’t know where the vertical cable drops are when you have a drill in your hand.

Using blank covers would resolve this

Yeah, I was thinking this. Is there any other way around it? I can’t have blanking covers as one socket will be directly behind the new hob.

Actually, am I right in thinking as the new sockets will be parrellel to the old ones (less than a couple of feet to the right) they should fall within the safe zone?

The vertical drops wouldn't be ,if they were left in their original positions.

Crisis averted. Wife has decided she can live with the hob staying in the same place as the old one. :D

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back