Electric hob installation - wiring / sockets adequate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my gas hob with a traditional electric hob. My fuse box states that the sockets in the kitchen are 32A, but the socket where the current single oven is plugged in, is a standard double socket (i.e not with the red 32A labelling). there are no other sockets nearby.

How can I be sure the kitchen wiring/socket is suitable for the new electric hob? What works will need to be done to accommodate an electric hob.

The current hob sits on a corner wall - are there any current regulations on siting an electric hob?

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not all hobs need 32A supply, but in the main a dedicated supply is required not one shared with sockets. There are may types of electric hob, and most types are slower than gas, and not as responsive. The Induction hob however is in the main, more responsive than gas and faster than gas, the gap between inductive and rest is huge.

Because inductive hobs are so much more efficient to rest, you can get a domino twin ring hob which will work well off a 13A outlet, however although there are four ring hobs designed to be configured to work of 13A you will only get enough power to gently simmer, four hobs, in real terms 4 hobs means 32A supply.

How can I be sure the kitchen wiring/socket is suitable for the new electric hob? What works will need to be done to accommodate an electric hob.
The obvious answer, would be to get an electrician to confirm what you have and what you require to use the new appliance.
Electric hobs are generally not designed to be plugged in, they require hard wiring. You should not use a standard socket circuit to install this onto. It maybe that the power supply to the hob has been altered from a historical cooker circuit, but if you also have an oven, O would suspect the oven is currently using that circuit. So you need some on-site expert advice.

Sponsored Links
A couple of initial questions:

The socket that the single oven is plugged in, does that go off when the kitchen sockets MCB is turned off? Or is it controlled by a separate MCB (please say the value if so).

This new hob. What is the power rating of this, either in KW or amps? Please do not quote the kWh figure.

To echo Taylor, there MAY be a dedicated circuit in the kitchen that was intended for a cooker, and has had a socket fitted on it.

It's unlikely, but has been known.

What circuits are labelled at the main fuse box or consumer unit?

How easy to run a new cooker-rated cable from the hob to the consumer unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back