Changing gas job to electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have gas hob with a separate electric oven. The oven does have its own 32A supply at the fuse board. The gas hob does plug in to a socket under the worktop, but I suspect that socket will be on the kitchen ring main.
My question is will that socket be of sufficient rating to run an electric hob?
Secondly, if it is not sufficient, instead of having to run a new cable to the fuse board, can I spur a second socket off the socket the oven is currently using? I don't want to run all new cabling to the fuse board, new breaker etc.

The house is approximately 8years old so will be installed electrically to standards at that time.

I would use a qualified electrician for the job, but at the moment just looking at options to replace the hob if feasible.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
My question is will that socket be of sufficient rating to run an electric hob?
Almost certainly not.

can I spur a second socket off the socket the oven is currently using? I don't want to run all new cabling to the fuse board, new breaker etc.
You're unlikely to be able to run a hob from a socket.

Replace the cooker outlet plate with a dual one.

screenshot_128.jpg

Hope you're keeping your cables min 25mm preferably 50mm from any gas pipe, and any outlet plates etc 150mm away from any gas pipe.
Gas regs - ie the BS for gas pipework. It doesn't matter which was installed first. Insulation (unspecified type) allows you to go closer.

(Breached in >50% of hob installations)

Sponsored Links
That shouldn't be a problem, cable-wise. Plenty of space to keep that separation from gas pipes.
Good call, though. It isn't anything I was aware of so I'll bear it in mind
Thanks

Just thought of another question on this - the oven has isolation switch above the height of the worktop. Can I use the same switch to isolate the hob AND the oven?
The hob will be about 18 inches from the oven, and switch is located on the wall between the two.
Or does each unit need its own isolation switch?

There are hobs specially designed to work on a 13A supply. In the main using the oven 32A supply and a splitting device is the way. But it is not the only way.

Can't remember the make but I claimed on this forum that you must have a 32A supply only to be shot down in flames when details of a special model was published designed to run on 13A. There are not many full size designed to work on 13A but their is at least one which can be configured for 13, 16 or 32 amp supply use.

With domino hobs there are quite a few designed for 13A supply. There is even an oven and hob designed to run on 13A the Baby Belling is very popular with works canteen set ups.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back