Electric Oven + Hob wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: I am doing my kitchen and would like to change my old gas cooker to a new gas hob + electric oven.

If I get a 13A rated oven + hob, my question is will I be able to run these of an existing sockets circuit or will I need to run a new 6mm cable from the fuse box (which will be a big pain)?

If I can use this circuit will the fuse go when I have other electrical stuff plugged into the other sockets?

Sponsored Links
tom r said:
:eek: I am doing my kitchen and would like to change my old gas cooker to a new gas hob + electric oven.

If I get a 13A rated oven + hob, my question is will I be able to run these of an existing sockets circuit or will I need to run a new 6mm cable from the fuse box (which will be a big pain)?

If I can use this circuit will the fuse go when I have other electrical stuff plugged into the other sockets?

Tom, if the oven is rated below 13A then you do not need to run a 6mm2 circuit for it. However you would be wise to power the oven via spur (FCU) that feeds an unswitched, low level single socket specifically for the oven. This can be spured from the existing ring main, however I tend to put these in as radials because you could overload the ring very easily if the oven is running when you start using things like kettles, washing machines and microwaves etc at the same time.

Agreed with FWL.....

Although I would install a twin socket to power the ignition on your gas hob aswell if located near to....as you dont want plug-tops on show....I would also leave the fuse spur (FCU) on the ringmain, but each to there own.....

:LOL: Thanks for the advice so far! One more question though - do I need to have an oven switch on the wall? Are these fused to stop any problems?

Sponsored Links
tom r said:
:LOL: Thanks for the advice so far! One more question though - do I need to have an oven switch on the wall? Are these fused to stop any problems?

Tom, NO, if you go the route I mentioned in my Earlier post, above your worktop all you need is a Switched Fused Connection Unit, also known as a Switched Spur.

This is more than sufficient to run a 2.5 to 3Kw Oven.

Incidently Ian has a point about the Ignition for the Hob. I usually take these off the ring as a spur, but in your case it would make perfect sense to install a double unswitched socket as oppose to a single.

...the hob will have electric ignition - you say I should get a double unswitched unit rather than a switched one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back