Desk Counter Top - Paint, Laminate, Other?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am pretty handy at carpentry and want to create a desk surface. It will sweep across a 90 degree angle across 2 walls and I want there to be two levels in one section i.e. a top surface, and a pull-out surface for keyboard.

I am going for a modern look, black works fine for my purpose, or some other clean colour (not white) I do not want it to look like a kitchen. My query is what is the recommended, simple way of building this. I am willing to spend money to reduce the time it takes, and want something that will be quality over time.

I was considering gluing two pieces of 18mm mdf together, priming and painting and then possibly varnishing it for longevity. The other option I was looking at was laminate. I cant find any laminate sheets that I can glue myself in the UK (am I missing something obvious?)

Any hints and tips would be very much appreciated.

Thx

Jon

Sponsored Links
Best desk surface I ever had was leatherette on the ancient desk I bought when the office furniture was replaced. It had to have been at least 30 and more like 50 years old.

Search for leatherette desk inserts on google.

Thanks for the response. Leatherette would be great, but doesn't really work with my design. My study is part of my garage, I have White walls and ceiling and a Ferrari Red master wall. The desk will be 50% for office purposes and 50% for DIY. The DIY part may end up having a removable surface to avoid scratches etc.

So I am really just looking for a quick a and cheap very smooth counter top that is hard wearing. Maybe paint is the best option. Oil Primer plus black Satura?

Sponsored Links
smooth single colour is what I am after - I would be interested in some form of pattern, but only if it was cheap to do so.

Two thicknesses of 18mm (36mm) MDF is really overkill - not to mention hugely heavy (MR-MDF weighs circa 55 to 60kg a sheet in 2400 x 1220 - could you lift 110kg on your own?). 22mm and 25mm should be ex-stock from a board supplier and are thick enough as well as reasonably rigid. Laminates? Use them quite a bit. Try International Decorative Surfaces, Morland UK (distributors), Formica, Wilsonart, Rehau, Polyrey, Abet Laminati, Egger, Arpa (manufacturers), etc. Loads of choices. Some firms like Formica manufacture laminate-clad MDF sheets in 18, 22 and 25mm. Ask the manufacturers for stockists or distributors.. Some more general merchants such as Arnold Laver, Silverman, etc stock laminated sheets, too, but if you want laminate the it isn't cheap (after all it's basically phenolic plastic, so over £100 per 3m x 2m sheet). For cheap you'd need to look at melamine-faced MDF, commonly used in shop and interior fitting for vertical surfaces (horizontal surfaces are almost always laminated for wear) or or MFC (melamine faced chipboard) which should be OK for domestic use. Manufacturers include Egger, Kronospan, Polyrey, etc.

Now you've got the names finding something should be easier

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH - as much as you intimated that you do not wish it to look like a kitchen - Kitchen worktop is just about the best for your purposes. I've done it for several work place items and if you are really lucky you can find a bit the size you want at the tip or in a skip. Even your local (kitchen) trade store may have a peice the size you want at a cheap price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back