Best material for a desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
Hi
My wife’s just started working from home and needs a desk to work at. She wants it built into an alcove to give her maximum space. My question really was what’s the best material to use for it? Some have suggested paint Ming MDF but I’m concerned that this will get scratched (she has lots of heavy files) and look crap. I wondered about plywood and then putting a laminated top on it?

Any other suggestions and tips would be great! I’m a DIY novice!

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
an offcut of laminated 40mm worktop. some supliers sell short lengths.
or go by a residential building refurbishmen site and ask if theve ripped any old w/ts out. kit fitters are replacing good stuff every week.

that corners not ideal thers the windowand curtin, the rad and no elec outlet can be seen.
remember that knees have to go under a desk into an openin about 24" - 25"high min..

if thers files an computer/digi stuff then youl need lots more space than that alcove - a length of w/t along a clear wall with outlets anmaybe landline/broadband conn handy.

I used a sheet of 18mm bamboo, treated with hard wax oil, supprted on steel box sections. I’m very happy with it, but it was pricey. It was a much larger span than yours.

A nice piece of 18mm plywood, with a coloured wax oil (e.g. osmo), would be a good option.

Look in any skips you pass. Seriously. I recently replaced a deep window ledge board with a piece of ply from a skip, because it was better than the sheet I had bought to use there.

Looks to small an area for a desk.
Just ledge something from the widow to the side of the chimney breast and you have a shelf desk.:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
View attachment 145184 Hi
My wife’s just started working from home and needs a desk to work at. She wants it built into an alcove to give her maximum space. My question really was what’s the best material to use for it? Some have suggested paint Ming MDF but I’m concerned that this will get scratched (she has lots of heavy files) and look crap. I wondered about plywood and then putting a laminated top on it?

Any other suggestions and tips would be great! I’m a DIY novice!

Thanks

Pete
If she faces the wall then any screen will be compromised by light from window.
Might be better to use conventional desk on wheels in the room and push it back to the corner when not in use.

ok my thoughts
that is not a good area to choose as you both have a radiator and a window in the corner restricting wall shelves and space usage
you also would have to cover part off the hearth and fire place front to make it usable space
if you cover the radiator with the desk top you will reduce its efficiency by perhaps 50 % as you will have a pocket off very warm still air that cannot easily circulate

I would make a frame out of studwork timber outlining the desk area and attach them to the wall (levelling with a spirit level first). Then plonk some painted MDF over the top and screw into the studwork timber. You could put some door jam wood or batten over the front edge to protect the MDF or some beading. Maybe get a blind for the window to stop the glare on certain days. Maybe get a desk pedestal or filing cabinet for the files so her workspace is less cluttered. You could also do some shelves in the alcove using the same method as the desk just have them a third of the size or thereabouts.

Hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back