Help save my desk...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a custom made desk, made out of I believe MDF, and the desk has some key features. Its built in, in away that its attached to the wall and can't be moved and has just 1 leg - side that is a leg... anyway, this was built some 10 years ago - I want to say more like 13 years ago, but could be wrong here to the fact that I have had it so long I don't remember not having it.

My desk isn't really a desk that I sit on due to health issues, but the desk is perfect for me, and all my needs. I have been thinking of building a new desk here, but its something I really don't want to do. However I would like to somehow veneer the desk with 3.5mm plywood.

I think the desk is split into a 40:60 ratio but could be off, but anyway, the central shelf bracket, (not shown on picture that well, is connected to the desk work top, separating the desk area with my mini fridge.

Anyway, I have a load of stuff under my desk, so we have put up a homemade curtain, and this is not that straight, so please note this when looking and replying. The safe you see has medication in btw, I am not rich and have money in there... anyway the desk has supports under the desk, and its now starting to dip in the middle of the desk, it is doing this by some 6mm that I last worked out a couple months ago.

Above my fridge, there is my book shelf, and each shelf is supported by internal wooden battening, so Yes I know the fridge and PC are heavy, but not too sure how to strengthen the desk, without having to start again, which is something I don't want to do.

IMG_8961.JPEG

Sponsored Links
Add a leg to the middle of the bow? As it is a storage area under the table, adding a leg shouldn't be a problem. Just get a piece of timber, saw it to the needed length and prop up the table. If the bow cannot be reversed, then just support the bow so that it doesn't deteriorate further.

you can actually put the support say 100-150 from the front edge to allow the seat to tuck under a bit in the work area but not too far back as the distance will allow it to sage toward the front
also your leg will push the full front edge up iff its floating untill the weight pulls it down towards flat
so go for the leg thats the same length as is needed in a triangulation off straight back to wall and either side front edge as in all 3 point are 700mm then 700mm or one at 690 0ne at 695 and one at 680mm the the average is 688

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back