Making a corner desk with limited skills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since I started a new job, my office desk isn't cutting it any more - not enough accessible desk and monitor space. So I'm looking to build a 190cm x 160cm x 80 / 60cm corner desk to fit a space in my study.

I'm thinking of using planed scaffolding planks, and maybe finding off the shelf legs (though not really inspired by the legs I'm finding! anyone know of any good sources??) but the thing that's giving me most concern is joining at the inside corner to leave an open leg space, but being sufficiently supported that it wont collapse when I lean or it). I might also want to add a raised shelf or something along the back of one edge, or cube shelving or something underneath just to give more storage space (it's a small room)

I should say, I've got no experience. At all. and beyond scaffolding planks and legs, I've no idea what other materials I'll need or really where to get them.

It's obviously the open corner that's the problem here and what I'm asking just might not be possible / easy for me, but I'd just prefer not to buy a boring, cheap looking but expensive office desk that doesn't exactly fit the space I've got.

Sponsored Links
Legs either end and 3x2 thru front edge from leg to rear wall to support inner corner assuming you are fixing all to baton on wall at rear?

I think you can still buy a powder coated steel sub frame for an L-shaped desk from IKEA (my previous desk was built on one of those and I seem to recall there was some width adjustment in it - BTW iot wasn't in the standard catalogue, but it was in a separate cataloigue from IKEA Office which you could pick-up in store)

For an L-shaped desk personally I'd forget about scaffolding planks - I think they are far too thick, will probably require ages to sand down and to accommodate the L-return you'll need a substantial frame beneath them which will get in the way of your legs. Have a look at the desks at work - the tops are thinnish (typically 18 to 25mm thick) and have minimal obstructions for your legs beneath the top. When I built mine I went for an 8 x 4ft (2440 x 1220mm) sheet of 18mm plywood which was trimmed to size with a circular saw. The radiused cut-out was roughed out with a jigsaw and I then did the final trim cut with a router, a home-made curve jig (needs a simple home made trammel bar jig to make) and a bearing guided cutter. Sanded the edges and finished with water-based floor lacquer.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Pinterest - and get some ideas as to what you actually want to build. Then ask how to build it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back