Desk Restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have aquired an old desk. Thats about all I can tell you really. I dont know what wood it is, though the stamp (as seen below) says it was made in 1938. It has been part of the Military / Civil Service before it came to me last year. It is very solid and heavy.

I dont want to fully restore it and make it perfection but I do want to go over it all with a good polish / varnish / stain, though I dont know whats best. I am going to be using it as a dining table and it will have a table cloth over the top. The only bits really showing will be the legs. I like the colour and want to preserve it but need some advice on what treatment would be good to both preserve the aged look as well as keep it looking its best.

Please see pictures below - I will answer any questions that you might have to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for your help.

whkub6.jpg

22auqb.jpg

221hmp.jpg

25s1ycx.jpg

v5cr4m.jpg

8xtxqc.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like a beech frame maybe with a leather insert?
The top can be removed by unscrewing the buttons from beneath.
I'd go over the frame with a fine detail sander, then build up a few coats of acrylic based varnish, with either a satin or gloss finish - gently sanding after each coat.
John :)

Unless they are darts holes in the corner first thing to do is treat it against the woodworm it appears to have. Then you can sand down the surface and maybe just wipe over with Danish oil , this brings out the colour and seals.
If you are not have with just oiled finish you can varnish.

Thanks both. That helps me narrow it down now. There are just so many products in B&Q and local shops that its hard to know exactly whats best.

Any recommendations for woodworm treatment? I am not sure if they are still active but better safe than sorry....

Also, Danish oil.... any particular brands or is it easily available?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

It needs a clean down first - it has decided to grow a little mould where it has been in the garage plus it wasnt completely clean in the first place.

Whats the best way? I dont want to soak it with water but would a damp cloth and cleaning fluid be any good to get me started?

Cleaning fluid sounds ominous.

Wipe down with a damp cloth and elbow grease if necessary. Anything that doesn't shift will come off when you do that light sand down.

OK, I have a week off starting Sunday and I want to get this underway.

Here is my plan of action using people's input...

1) Wipe clean surface with damp cloth to remove mould etc that has appeared over winter

2) Remove table top (see brackets in picture) and spray whole frame and parts with woodworm treatment (how long should I leave this?)

3) Light rub down using fine sandpaper to smooth frame and top

4) Wipe down to ensure all dust removed

5) Wipe over with Danish oil (can several coats be applied if we want the colour to improve?)

How does that sound to people? All extra advice much appreciated and before & after pictures to be posted at the end!

Sorry to bump but any comments on my post just above this one?

Thanks again.

OK, I have a week off starting Sunday and I want to get this underway.

Here is my plan of action using people's input...

1) Wipe clean surface with damp cloth to remove mould etc that has appeared over winter

2) Remove table top (see brackets in picture) and spray whole frame and parts with woodworm treatment (how long should I leave this?)See product instructions

3) Light rub down using fine sandpaper to smooth frame and top

4) Wipe down to ensure all dust removed

5) Wipe over with Danish oil (can several coats be applied if we want the colour to improve?)Coats don't affect colour , a couple should be enough

How does that sound to people? All extra advice much appreciated and before & after pictures to be posted at the end!

Don't worry too much about getting the mould off - that will go when you get sanding. Water will raise the grain, which you don't want.

Sanding - go "through the papers" - start with 80 grit, then 120, and finish off with 150 or 180 grit. Use a sanding block or a small piece of wood to keep it all flat.
Dust and/or hoover down. wipe down with white spirit and leave for an hour to dry.

This table/desk is oak with a rather nice "silver grain". In 1938 it would have been stained with a "Golden Oak" finish. Nowadays people prefer a browner finish.

Use Colron wood dye - it's idiot proof. (Sorry - you know what I mean!)

Varnish with a good quality CLEAR varnish. Leave overnight, rub [LIGHTLY with a fine paper. Dust, wipe with white spirit and varnish again.
You may need three coats. Leave for a few days somewhere warm.

Finally, wax and wire wool, then wax and buff.

I do this for a living - so I know the result is good. Exhausting, but good.

By the way, woodworm killer should dry overnight. I use Solignum, but any reputable make will do.

You have to sand down to the wood - none of this "light sanding" lark, you need to get all the old varnish/dust/filth off.

What's with the Danish oil?
Has somebody got shares in the Danish OIl industry?

Stick to traditional, and "in period", methods and you can't go wrong.

You could probably improve the leather with an appropriate leather soap, but that's not my thing. Try a leather expert/ saddler/upholsterer for advice.

Good luck

Thanks alot for your time and advice. Thats totally different to the other opinions but you say you are a professional and therefore I am drawn to following your advice.

I will have another read tomorrow and think of some questions for you regarding your post and what I should do.

Thanks alot though!

Lower part of the table is Oak, Top looks like beech. If you get it stripped it might be better to french polish it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back