desperate help needed for roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need help with my roof. Its a pitched timber and felt roof. quite old.
Generally the roof is in realy good condition. However in two front corners of the unit there are leaks were the valley would be.

From the inside of the unit all the timber panels are completley dry. even on a ver very wet day.

On the outside there ar some cracks in the felt however these are about 40ft away from were the leak is. The creacks do not penetrate to the timber. The valley through out is in good condition, no cracks that i can see. The section were there is a leak has had new felt work done to it approx 10 feet section. The leak still persists.

I have a strong feeling that it may not be my roof that is the problem but might actually be the adjoining units

I have asked roofer to come round and they all except one have said use acropoll. However no one can gaurantee the work. I cant afford to replace the whole roof. I am on a tight budget - aiming to start my own business. This roof has already put me behind 4 months.

any help would be appreciated (and price guide) or if your a good roofer in the birmingham area you can come down and give me a quote.

thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
You say the roof has leaks, but that the timber inside is dry :confused:

So what is the problem?

A leak to a valley will be either at the location of the ingress or futher up the valley. Either way unless its patently obvious where the hole is, then the only way to guarantee a sucessful repair, would be to redo the whole valley.

Acropol will only help if the leak is in the actual valley or pointing- not if there is a problem with the felt under or up to the valley

sorry, when i said the timber s dry - i meant the pitched roof timber is dry however in the corner of the roof is were the valley is thats were its is very wet.

I cant find any holes in the valley.

so should i refelt the whole roof.

Sponsored Links
Valleys are a nightmare.

Either expose the bottom 1m - up and either side to see if there is a probelm there, or its a case of taking up the whole lot to see if there are probelms further up.

But do a thorough visual check in and out first.

There is no need to refelt the whole roof, unless it is such a state that further leaks may become common

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back