Detached garage water problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have moved into a house with a detatched garage.

Problem is , every time it rains it gets flooded with inches of water.

I have had a new garage door (with rubber seal at the bottom) fitted as well as a new UPVC side entrance door and nothing has helped.

I got a builder out who told me that the 3 feet of piled up dirt behind the garage is encouraging water build up and it is seeping through the brickwork which appears to be some sort of breezeblock.

He suggested removing the dirt to below the level of the garage floor and fitting some damp proof covering on the outside.

My question is , as an alternative to his advice , could I fit the damp proof covering on the inside of the garage and screed over as opposed to loads of hard work digging and removing the large pile of dirt behind the garage ?

What are the pros & cons of both options ?

Any help appreciated guys.

Sponsored Links

there is only one option as far as i can see. remove the piled-up soil as advised. trying to prevent water ingress once it is already into the masonry, is nigh on impossible.

was the garage built upon a raft or strip foundations?

i ask this because a lot of garages built upon slabs of concrete, whereby a 'toe' of slab is left protruding beyond the walls, allow water to seep in at the wall-floor abutment.

there is only one option as far as i can see. remove the piled-up soil as advised. trying to prevent water ingress once it is already into the masonry, is nigh on impossible.

was the garage built upon a raft or strip foundations?

i ask this because a lot of garages built upon slabs of concrete, whereby a 'toe' of slab is left protruding beyond the walls, allow water to seep in at the wall-floor abutment.

Problem is , the piled up soil is under decking and it means taking all this down and digging down around 3/4 feet , which I was hoping somehow to avoid doing.

That was why I was wondering whether you could put the dampproof membrane on the inside and scredding as the water is already in the brickwork anyway.

As far as I can see , the garage is built on a concrete slab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back