Detached garage - wet floor? and conversion to clean area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm after a bit of advice before I begin some work in my garage, wonder if anyone can help? I have a small budget of about £500 and I want to do the work myself, if I can.

I have a detached brick garage (built 1986 ish) it has a flat felt roof and is single skin of bricks I think. I can see the black layer (damp proof course) 2 bricks up from the bottom of the garage.

I want to put a door in on the side of the garage and make half of the garage a clean room, so when you walk in the side door its a self contained little utility space. From the research I've done, I think I'll construct a wooden frame inside the garage, with a raised floor. Insulate the whole thing and use chipboard on the floor and plasterboard everywhere else.

QUestions is, how do I sort out my damp garage floor first? and has anyone got a simple step by step guide for a DIYer to follow to make such a garage room? Happy to do the research and reading..

Will I need to get a new damp proof course put in, or tank the garage?

You can see from the pictures, I painted the whole garage about 2 years back, which makes it easier to see the problem. Apart from the bottom left area of the garage, the rest seems pretty dry. I've organised for a new roof to be installed next month, as the felt is due to be replaced. I'm also getting a storm drain fitted that will run across the front of the garage door so no water should get underneath the door and run down to the back of the garage (it slopes to the bottom left).

If someone can give me some advice on the floor and sort that out, I can make a start on the rest of the project, oh and if you do have a step by step guide that would be great.

kind regards, thanks.

View media item 21380 View media item 21381 View media item 21382 View media item 21383 View media item 21384

Sponsored Links
want to put a door in on the side of the garage and make half of the garage a clean room, so when you walk in the side door its a self contained little utility space. From the research I've done, I think I'll construct a wooden frame inside the garage, with a raised floor. Insulate the whole thing and use chipboard on the floor and plasterboard everywhere else.

I've organised for a new roof to be installed next month, as the felt is due to be replaced. I'm also getting a storm drain fitted that will run across the front of the garage door so no water should get underneath the door and run down to the back of the garage (it slopes to the bottom left).

I have a small budget of about £500
:eek: :eek:

If you intend raising the floor, why not install a dpm and use concrete. no need to worry about damp then.

Do you know what five hundred quid buys these days. :LOL:

Thanks. You suggested I install a membrane and use concrete? Is this easy enough to install?

I've seen people on the forum build a stud frame inside the garage and line the brick walls with a barrier ( polythene ) then insulation then plasterboard. The floor sits on top of the frame which has been put on the top of polythene also with insulation inbeteen the wooden sections.

Given that the bottom two bricks seem to be damp below the damp proof course what do I need to do to make this dry? If, as you suggest I install a dpc do I just lay it and leave lots either side then tack it to the wall or does it need to go into the brick?

I agree £500 doesn't get u much these days but I already have some plasterboard and plenty of chipboard for the floors.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ok. It's been a while but I'm ready to start the project.
Since I last posted I've had arco drains installed in front of the garage - no more rain in that way.
I've had a side door installed and a new metal roof over the existing timber/felt - 30 yr guarantee included :)

Decided to go for concrete on base and have created the holding frame ready for the concrete pour. So just after a little more advice before booking that in. Do I place the membrane on the existing concrete floor and tape it up a metre around the Walls then pour in the concrete two bricks up (up to the dpc visible on the bricks) ... Then stud frame, insulation against brick Walls, plastic then plasterboard, skim and finish. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

Some pictures may help..

top corner where water seems to pool and perhaps coming ion from next doors garden?

view from the up and over garage door looking to the back left of the garage

ceiling timber, now has a metal roof over the top of the timber/felt roof

view from the side door looking into the garage

side door into garage

planned garage layout..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back