Detaching a garage attached to neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

What are your thoughts on this - We live in a link detached house. Our garage shares a wall with neighbours garage. We want to convert our garage and connect it to the house with an extension. Advice sought from estate agents and the like is tha the definition of our house would remain the same if we did this as their garage is not converted into a habitable room. So if we went ahead with that plan we would remain a link detached house. However, we really like our neighbours and don’t want to upset them. We also don’t want to run the risk of them or someone else doing the same in future and making us semi detached. One thing we considered was detaching the garages. So leaving theirs with the existing party wall, reducing the interior of our garage slightly and creating a new wall to leave a small gap between the two garages. My question is does anyone know whether that’s even a possibility? Or would we have to have our entire garage demolished? We want to do this in the most cost effective manner possible and knocking down and rebuilding the garage could potentially run us over our budget so we are trying to work out ways of keeping the cost down. I’m not sure how much it would cost to detach the garages - that may well also be very expensive if even possible.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as a "link-detached" house. Estate agents make that up. And a house joined by two garage conversions will never become semi-detached.

You seem to be concerned with made up terminology and think it will relate to house property value, when it does not in this situation.

I wonder if someone would pay the same money to buy a house with a barely usable but joined 2.1m wide garage conversion, as they would for a hardly usable but separate 1.8m wide garage conversion?

Otherwise yes you can run a disk saw down the garage to separate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back