Development rights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a stud wall with window and door across a balcony in my flat. The enclosed space would be used as a kind of 'pantry' with a freezer, secondary fridge etc installed under a worktop. There would be about 1m depth of the original balcony space preserved.

To make it a practical proposition, I also need to move an existing window, which looks out onto the balcony and is currently adjacent to the wall, about 325mm so I can conveniently locate a kitchen wall cupboard in the new enclosed space, too, without blocking the window.

The balcony is too narrow and the ceiling too low to faciltate insulating the exposed brick walls and ceiling. If this is required the project is a non-starter.

1/ Do I need to get planning consent?

2/ Since it won't be 'habitable' space, will Building Regs apply re insulation?

Sponsored Links
So from the outside you wish to move a window, for a block of flats permission will be required, maybe more difficult will be getting permission from the building owner or management etc. You probably wouldn't need Building Regulations for the new stud wall but you would for a new window. Difficult to say anything else or be more certain though as I don't really follow your proposals completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back