DeWalt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from sheer robustness, are their jigsaws (mains, not battery) any better than other makes in other respects?

If they're quieter/smoother/more accurate then that's of interest to me, but if the only thing their price gets you is the ability to use and abuse them on building sites and the backs of Trannies then that is not of any value to me.

I want a good jigsaw for DIY, and were I looking to spend the cost of a new DeWalt, I'd probably opt for Festool instead, but my budget wont stretch that far. :cry:

However, decent (looking) s/h DeWalts are a regular feature on eBay, so I guess my question is is a s/h DW323 or 321 going to be any better for me than, for example, a new Bosch GST85PBE/GST2000 or Makita 4340?

Sponsored Links
Well - they aren't all battered and torn:

44_1.jpg
c5_1.jpg

and in fact they aren't all s/h:

88_1.jpg

I have a bog standard b&d jigsaw, interestingly b&d owns de walt and manufactures the tools in the same shop the de walt tools tend to have metal gearing as opposed to nylon

However I have no use for it.

For board and plank cutting I use a hand held circular saw.
For hole cutting I use a drill mounted hole saw.
For studs and skirtings etc I use a bench mounted compound mitre saw.
For intricate work I use a bench mounted scroll saw.
For mortising and dowelling I use a pillar drill with Forstner bits and hand chisels.
For all other cutting I use either a de walt trim saw or various hand saws.

I have tried to use a jigsaw, b&d and dewalt, for various jobs but found that whilst I could maintain the cutting line the vertical accuracy was variable and always required planing to recover the square edge.

Incidently I have colleaques in the US who will not touch Dewalt, they all purchase Craftsman tools for quality and lifetime guarantee. if I find a UK vendor I will post.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds,

Try and get the feel of them,some are heavy and awkward.

The first picture in your post,I cannot get on with them because I've found my left hand holding the knob handle while it's difficult to operate with your right hand holding the body plus you cannot see the cutting without bending over to the side.

The second picture I would be happy with as the handle have a slight tilt position for your hand without straining your wrist.

Again you really need to get the feel of them first before buying (properly that why people don't want them!)

Just bought a Bosch PSE 850 from Homebase: 59 quid complete with several blades and carry case, and I spent another £12 odd stocking up with various blades. Absolutely brilliant tool. Instant blade change is excellent. It's quiet, accurate, half the weight of equivalent B&D, and dead easy to get good results. Whilst I still use hand saws to get best results, jigsaw has proved invaluable for jobs which I would otherwise not been able to do without much blood, sweat, and tears.

I got a present of a milwaukee industrial jigsaw. (Friend working in the factory in America got it with a damaged flex). The particular jigsaw retails at almost €700 here! Needless to say I have very little use for it and would only be using it for DIY. Still it looks well sitting in the garage!

I find the accuracy is a lot to do with the blade, some of the bosch one's are very good. Also, pendulum action is a must, I have 8 settings but think 3 is more standard.

According to my local tool hiring and tool mending shop, DeWalt are going down the tubes. The internals are beginning to look more like diy tools than previously.
Everyone seems to agree that their cordless drills are vg, but the jigsaw doesn't hold a line and is bulky. I have a Bosch GST100 which is bl**dy awful - they soon found, apparently, that most of its new features were a disaster , so the brought out the current model which looks more like their previous one - "SDS" blade change instead of the ever-jamming springy thing. They've improved the GST 100 here and there but I still would steer clear.
When it stopped holding a blade at all I bought the latest Hitachi, which is much more rigid. Far better for plunge-cutting which I do a lot. Doesn't have a variable speed on the trigger though, which takes getting used to.

Chris, your tool supplier must be anti DeWalt or a fool.

I have Five DeWalt Drills, 2x14.4V (5 and 3.5 years Old), 2x18V (4 and 2 years old) and a 24V Rotary Hammer that is 18 months old.

These drills are used daily for dilling, screwing and hammering, they are robust, effective and I have never known a problem with them.

I also Have Bosch and Makita tools, so I think I am in a position to judge.

Below 24V, DeWalt is King, however the Bosch 24VRE's we have are better than the 24V DeWalt, the Bosch seem to have more grunt, but that is not to diminish the DeWalt.

As well as this we have a number of DeWalt corded tools and DeWalt battery tools, all are very good, and certaily outlast their competitors, even when abused.

The Only two companies that approach DeWalt for battery Tools are Bosch and Makita. For Corded Tools there is a bit more diversity, depending on the tool, but if you stick to DeWalt, Bosch, Makita, AEG or Hitachi, then you won't go wrong.

I have a Makita 14.4V Marathon, and have had a play with the DeWalt equivalent that my friend owns. I prefer mine. :p

Conversely, I have a DeWalt palm sander and prefer it to my friend's Makita. :LOL:

the sweetest one I ever used (and by that I mean most accurate and handlable as well as just feeling like it was up to it) was a metabo.

for what its worth

if its your living then tools are very important. I use a DeWalt 18v drill and a 12v driver every single day and they earn my living with me - not much I can add to that....

FWL_Engineeer said:
in my openion, dewalt are a very poor make

Just so EVERYONE is aware, this post I quote was not I, please look at the spelling of Engineer. I have reported this to a DIYnot. It is insulting to all that use these forums and there is a real chance this was done to start arguments.

I know some here and I have fallen out, but please ensure it is me that you are responding to before jumping down my throat.

Thanks all.

FWL_Engineer said:
Just so EVERYONE is aware, this post I quote was not I, please look at the spelling of Engineer. I have reported this to a DIYnot. It is insulting to all that use these forums and there is a real chance this was done to start arguments.

I know some here and I have fallen out, but please ensure it is me that you are responding to before jumping down my throat.

Thanks all.
also check the number of posts, the "real" FWL_Engineer has over 1000 posts.

what were you doing up at 6 this morning? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back