DHW Temperature Displayed on Boiler While Tap Running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Have a new Vaillant Ecotec plus 832 and would appreciate any advice. I currently have my domestic hot water temperature set at 50C and when drawing off water through the tap the boiler display shows temperatures rising to about 15C above the set temperature. I have checked the temperature of the hot water leaving the tap with a suitable thermometer and it is coming out at around the set temperature of 50C, but can't understand why the boiler is displaying well in excess of this (e.g. 65 C). I feel sure that if the DHW temperature on the boiler was set at its maximum of 65C, the boiler would be showing temperatures of at least 80C?

The above does not happen as much when heating the radiators, as this is set at 60C and at most only shows temperatures on the display of 64C. The installer does not seem to think it's an issue, but would really appreciate other opinions as I don't want to risk damaging the boiler.

Before new boiler installation, previously treated water in my radiators when drained did look clean, though was still re-filled and flushed prior to new boiler installation and again after with Fernox F3. The installation also includes a MagnaClean and Magnetic Limescale Inhibitor fitted to the water supply pipe. Thanks in advance for any possible Help.

Sponsored Links
Is your installer a nupty?

Why do you think that we know why the temperature is higher and he does not?

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks for the replies

Appreciate the explanation, because of when running the hot water tap and the flashing tap symbol flashes below the temperature display I did assume it was referring to the DHW temperature, so thanks again for clarifying. I am also wondering as well Agile why the installer seemed unable to clearly explain, though disappointed I could not complain how neat his installation was.

Earlier I decided to increase the DHW temperature at 58C, I run the tap and the displayed temperature this time had reached 75C and at this point turned the tap off and reduced the temperature back down to 50C again. Could someone please advise whether the temperature should reach as high as 75C, as I feel sure if I had not turned to tap off it may have possibly reached higher? Also just to confirm, my Central Heating was set at 60C but had not been on for a few hours before the tap was run.

Any further help appreciated. Thanks again

Just set the HW temp to about 50 C and the boiler will look after itself.

Have it at the minimum that is comfortable as that reduces lime scaling.

Some installers left school at 16 and did not have any proper scientific education and have not bothered to get any since. But they can still make very neat installations.

Tony

Thanks Tony

Though a temperature of 50C may be adequate, I did after some reading decide it may be best at even possibly 60C in reducing risk of legionella for instance, though did personally think this risk is possibly low due to DHW being drawn off regularly.

As the Vaillant is still under warranty, really wanted to get some idea of whether the system temperature should reach as high as it does, as it is designed to be set as high as 65C and would imagine at that temperature the display would be displaying over 80C. So really need to know before possibly calling Vaillant, whether the high displayed temperature is normal or whether it has a fault. Thanks again, appreciated

So really need to know before possibly calling Vaillant, whether the high displayed temperature is normal or whether it has a fault. Thanks again, appreciated
If you call them out you will be charged for wasting time.

the display is not showing the HW temp, as its not supposed to.

Its working ok.

Leave it alone

If you call them out you will be charged for wasting time.

Thanks ScottishGasMan

I was thinking you are possibly right and them just ending up telling me it's normal and being charged for the call, but now not so sure.

Decided after replies to just stop worrying about it as after all it is under warranty, but now has developed a noise. Wife and I prefer a higher DHW temperature so decided to set at 60C and just leave alone. We shower mostly but I decided to run a bath and after a few minutes the boiler started making a droning / vibrating sound, checked the temperature on the display and the noise started when it had reached 80C, so turned tap off and reduced temperature back down to 50C again. The water temperature and flow seemed consistent throughout the tap running, but obviously did not like the higher temperature or the length of time the tap was running. Also probably making no difference, the Central Heating temperature was set at 60C and has never made any noises while heating radiators.

Not my boiler or video, but the below sounded the same as ours and would appreciate any opinions from anyone of possible causes. Thanks again

Last edited:
Please don't take this the wrong way mate. But I feel sorry for your installer.

I install many vaillants and have very few problems.

I have however had a few problems with a very small percentage of my customers that feel the need to 'have a fiddle' in the settings menu and find themselves calling me after messing about with settings that they should not be messing with.

Unfortunately. Vaillant don't help themselves by describing in the installation manual how to access these settings.

The same installation manual that we are required to leave with our customers because it contains the benchmark and servicing record.

Have you by any chance 'fiddled' with settings that you should not have?

Be honest;)

Please don't take this the wrong way mate. But I feel sorry for your installer.

Have you by any chance 'fiddled' with settings that you should not have?

Be honest;)

Hi TCCHeating

I don't take your remarks the wrong way matey because you don't know me, but don't have a clue why you should feel sorry for the installer as he has only been back once after the installation at my request and he needed to do that anyway because unknown to him he had left some work un-finished that I was unable to sort. I helped him all the way through with this installation because he was on his own e.g. removing and replacing carpets, removing the old and getting a new opening for the flue in the roof sorted, draining my old system off, left to balance my own radiators, fetching and using some of my own materials, disposing of my old pipework, tanks and boiler etc and buying and replacing broken floorboards. This is only what I can remember and believe me had done a lot more, from his point of view I would have expected to have been seen as an ideal customer. Now I'm thinking about it I think it should be me given credit and feeling sorry for, not him ;)

There was no way that I was going to delve into the installers menu even though I probably could, firstly I'm no expert and also being it's computerised I don't know whether a trace of time and date may be left visible regarding any access to the menu, so certainly was not prepared to risk jeopardising my warranty. Only settings I fiddled with, were as per users manual.

Now I've dealt with them questions, does anyone have any idea what the problem with my boiler may possibly be :whistle: ;)

Last edited:
In the interests of this thread not devolving into yet another slanging match :sneaky:...

If you have an inkling of doubt about the behaviour of your unit, even after your installer's attempts to reassure you, then you are entitled to a second opinion and should call a Vaillant technician in. Explain your intention to your installer and try to keep it all friendly because your main concern is identifying a "possible factory fault" which "might" affect your warranty if left unreported! It might end up costing you for a callout but peace of mind sometimes comes with a price tag!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back