DHW Thermostat Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any of you experts guide me in the right direction in testing a DHW thermostat correctly.
This is how I tested it
I took out the temperature probe from the boiler pocket and placed it inside a cup of water at 90 plus degrees with a digital thermometer beside it.
I disconnected the two live wires going to and fom the main thermostat and tested for omms and continuity with a multimeter.
on the side of the thermostat reads Ranco T70, part number 5106362 for flowsure oil boiler.
I guess it operates up to 70 degrees ?
Through the course of the test it had no continuity or omms until 81 degrees C and as the temperature fell the resistance went up as it should because of the metals inside the bulb solidifying.

My question is should I only see resistance and continuity only at 70 degrees C which is when the thermostat stops the DHW being heated too much ?

Bully

Sponsored Links
This will be a straightforward switch. Forget the ohms, just measure continuity. It will have a common terminal, and a normally closed terminal (possibly a normally open terminal also, depending on the no which will be prefixed with a 'C'. As it is an oil boiler stat, it should peak at about 85c. It may only range from 55C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back