DHW what is the right temp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have attached a picture of my combi boiler sorry it isn't very clear. The left side is the radiator dial and the right side is the hot water dial. The water isn't very hot in the bathroom and it is odd that when I turn the sink/bath tap fully the hot water is cool yet when I turn it halfway the water is hotter why is that?

I need to know how far should I turn the hot water circle on the boiler from 1 to 10, would it be dangerous to turn it all the way to the fullest level?

Any help would be great and does the wireless thermostat have anything to do with the DHW or just the CH because I can't figure it out at all!

Attachments

• WIN_20161124_11_58_48_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20161124_11_58_48_Pro.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 116
  • WIN_20161124_12_10_11_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20161124_12_10_11_Pro.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
Turn it up all you need. That is why it's there.
Try running your tap at around 11 litres per min

The official recommended temperature for hot water is 55 C to 60 C as that kills legionella.

But a little lower is not a problem.

I like it at 45 C I can shower directly in the 43 C that arrives in the shower.

Tony

The official recommended temperature for hot water is 55 C to 60 C as that kills legionella.

But a little lower is not a problem.

I like it at 45 C I can shower directly in the 43 C that arrives in the shower.

Tony
Then you're clearly unfamiliar with the current regulations with regard to legionella.
Do you carry out any work in the public sector ie: care homes/schools etc???
I thought not..:)..I heard no mention of the word "pasteurisation".
If you don't know then stay away from the keyboard..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The OP seems to be living in his own home.

Not a care home!

Thank you for the info so far, on the DHW dial which number would be about 55-60 degrees Celsius? (1-10)
Also on the boiler is the cold water inlet stopcock meant to be turned fully anti-clockwise because I turned it is all the way clockwise and it turned the hot water off and now by turning it anti-clockwise I don't know how far am I meant to go? Help please

Open the cold inlet fully. Turn the dial up to at least 7-8 and see how hot it gets, best gauge is by hand I find, make it as hot as you need it, just remember if there are any kids or older residents as they are more susceptible to scalding. As the colder weather hits you may want it all the way to 10 and turn back down when winter's over, it needs more heat as the cold water temp drops during winter.

Then you're clearly unfamiliar with the current regulations with regard to legionella.
Do you carry out any work in the public sector ie: care homes/schools etc???
I thought not..:)..I heard no mention of the word "pasteurisation".
If you don't know then stay away from the keyboard..

Well if you know best, perhaps you better tell the HSE because all their guidance recommends to store hot water at 60 to kill legionaries bacter.

But you didn't ask him, you just insulted him without adding anything constructive, again.

virtually every post I see of yours is having a pop at Tony. It's bullying. If you don't agree with something he says, have a grown up debate about it.

The risk with hot water and legionella is when it's stored and how long for. In a HW storage situation then it is advised to store hot water above 60Deg and distribute it above 50Deg, higher if the user is within a higher risk category and then you get into TMV2/3 territory.

In a combi system, as the OP has suggested they have, as it is mains fed instantaneous hot water, the legionella risk wouldn't usually come into play anyway.

But you didn't ask him, you just insulted him without adding anything constructive, again.

virtually every post I see of yours is having a pop at Tony. It's bullying. If you don't agree with something he says, have a grown up debate about it.
Bullying?? Grow up jeez..
Explain exactly how my above post could be construed as bullying?
So you agree that maintaining stored water @ 45c is good advice?
You also agree with his pricing structure?
You also agree that crushing pipework in order to run behind a soil/rainwater pipe is good practice?
You also agree that a 30kw combination boiler would satisfy the heating requirements when installed in an 8 bedroom property??
I could go on and on.....

Hey slipp , your post count to thanks ratio isn't all that good is it??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back