Diabolical PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hows about my days work today then, this PIR on a 4 bedroom house threw up 8 Code 1's, 6 Code 2's, 2 Code 3's and 5 Code 4's.

Tell me I was over-zelous with my Code 1's, I know you will!

Should have condemned it as a rewire straight away really, but its a friend of the family job, so I owed it to them to spend the day there. Shabby standard of installation combined with the rigours of periods of unoccupation and damp. I had continuity across one of the walls!

1 Break in CPC continuity to cooker (non-RCD protected circuit too). (1)

2 Metal switch plates not earthed. (1)

3 Severe corrosion in most downstairs socket back boxes. (1)

4 More spurs than outlets directly on ring final. (2)

5 Spurs from ring final created by inaccesable joints. (2)

6 Unfused spur off a spur connected with 1.5mm2 cable, feeding 2 further double sockets. (1)

7 Wiring in multiple places run outside of permitted zones. (2)

8 Some backbox fixing lugs missing or broken, leaving loose accessories, exposing live parts. (1)

9 Supplimentary bonding missing in bathroom. (4)

10 Inaccesible joint buried beneath plaster and tiles in kitchen. (2)

11 Unnacceptable L-N insulation resistance reading on Ring 2 (3)

12 Undersized supply tails (4)

13 Earth sleeving ommitted on most points (4)

14 Solid green earth sleeving used on some points (4)

15 Concealed cables not protected by a 30ma RCD (4)

16 Screw terminals very loose on 80% of accessories (1)

17 Incorrect light fitting (chandelier) in Zone 1 in bathroom (2)

18 Class 1 fitting (chandelier) in bathroom not earthed (1)

19 Exposed single insulated wires on ceiling pendant in dining room (2)

20 Unacceptable Insulation Resistance readings on both lighting circuits (3)

21 Signs of charring caused by overloading and shorts on cables feeding two kitchen socket outlets (1)

Sponsored Links
Most of them seem reasonable, it is your interpretation at the end of the day as you have seen the installation.
Just a few I'd question,
3 could be a code 2 but I haven't seen the severity
4 don't know if it is a violation of BS7671:2008 as such, unless there are spurs on spurs.
9 Could be a code 1 unless it is to the 17th edn re RCDs and verifying bonding by measurement

I was kicking myself I didn't have a camera on me, I'll take a few pics if i get the rewire job.

Corrosion was present on the boxes, cable (CPC's particularly) and the woodscrews securing the socket plate to the remnants of the lugs.

Was the corrosion bad bad? Or was it just bad enough to lead to a dangerous situation over time?

Sponsored Links
Flakes of iron oxide were raining down onto the terminals, a short could occour at an time, not only that, a couple of the sockets were in softwood panneling, so the fire risk really did it for me.

OK, I'll let you have a code 1 :LOL:
Don't forget to buy yourself a camera phone ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back