Shocking PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did a PIR this week and unfortunately had to fail it...

Nearly...NO EVERY switch, socket, light fitting loose and even some missing completley.

Ended up with 5 code 1's, 9 code 2's & 6 code 4's :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh yeh, it was only a 3 bed semi!!

Sponsored Links
Here goes,

Code 1's
15A fuse wire in 5A carrier (1.0mm T&E)
Multiple exposed live parts (lighting)
Multiple exposed live parts (socket circuit)
Exposed live parts (alarm panel)
Reversed polarity in socket (incorrectly wired)

Code 2's
Wodden framed Wylex fuse board
No RCD protection of downstairs sockets
Local isolator for oven loose behind integrated oven
Boiler switched fused spur wired incorrectly
No earth continuity on lighting circuit
no live continuity on lighting circuit
incorrect polarity in some light fittings
no supplementary bonding to metal bath
230v extractor fan in zone 2 (No RCD)
open circuit neutral in socket ring

For the metal bath, I was under the impression that as long as any metal pipework connecting it is supp bonded and the bathtub is not in contact with another ECP eg metallic building structure then the bathtub itself does not need bonded.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hijack, but just wondering what is the correct thing todo if you discover any serious problems while doing a PIR? The other day I tested a house, on TT system, with no earth rod and no RCDs. Obviously I corrected this there and then as I wasnt happy leaving it. This had been like it for the past 20 years too!!

You are pretty limited in what you can legally do, if the customer refused to pay to have it rectified the only thing you can do is give them the information in writing that you believe it is dangerous and should be immediately isolated because.........

If I have been hired to do a PIR then that is what I do and very little else as I have no authorisation to carry out any work! I also generally don't have much time to do much there and then as that work would run into my next appointment

I have only ever left one job isolated following a PIR, and even then I had to get the landlords permission.

If I find something immediately dangerous then all I can do is point it out to the client, and hope they are happy for it to be remidied ASAP. If they refuse, that's there lookout. I've done as much as I can.

Here goes,

Code 2's
No RCD protection of downstairs sockets

I would personally opt for a Code 4 in this instance as it doesn't comply with the current edition of BS7671.
This doesn't imply that it's safe, you can still make it a condition of a satisfactory report that this has to be rectified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back