Did I do anything wrong with this Karndean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
laying some polyflor direct onto egger moisture resistant chipboard flooring, I spread and rollered the f46, let it dry to a permanent tack (with the aid of a fan heater on lukewarm setting) and fitted the flooring.

I used the same technique to lay all of it(butt the short edge up to the last laid plank, keeping the plank I'm laying slightly curved, then work along keeping the long edge tight against the previous row, and then apply pressure and smooh backwards towards the last laid plank to press it onto the glue), but I note that a few (not all) of the planks look like they've shortened slightly since being laid, as there is a half millimetre gap along the short edge of the plank.

This doesn't happen everywhere, I've noticed maybe 6 planks in the floor that have done it. Irritatingly, 4 of the planks are at the head of the stairs and it's quite noticeable because the planks are laid at 45 degrees, and well illuminated by a roof light. I'm undecided whether to try filling the gap, or peel up and relay the planks..
Any ideas as to whether it was something I did/n't do that caused this?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You should of used Karndean universal or Uzin KE66
If fitting on F46 you want the planks colder then the sub floor. So they don't skrink but expand a bit.

Before I rip em up(not averse to doing so as its only a few rows that are really affected), Are there any liquid/paste type fillers that I can rub into the gap to blend the colours a bit? The planks are polyflor Camaro nut tree, so generally a mid brown, and I'm thinking that to try a disguise might be worth it first (especially as it doesn't really damage anything if it looks cack, I can still peel the planks up, fridge them, then relay them)

Admittedly a lighter colour but I had some very small gaps in a couple of vinyl planks in my bathroom. You struggled to see them at floor level but from a height they were thin dark lines on a light grey oak floor. I mixed some white and tiny amount of grey sealant and carefully rubbed it into the gap, cleaning off any excess and it looks fine. Took some trial and error to get the colour as close as I could but its often enough to get something that's not white. I think its one advantage of luxury vinyl tiles that you can do this.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's not a bad shout; I'll have a look at the mapei coloured silicones

I ended up with a dab of white and a tiny, tiny dot of grey. Just enough that it was not pure white and given the grains and other shades on the floor it didn't look out of place. In fact given the fine nature of the gaps you can't tell where it was done at all. Colours tend to be light,mid, dark brown in the basic sealers so pick the one that's closest of course might not even need to mix it. There are more wood colour specific waterproof sealers unless there is a Karndean "repair" kit of some kind.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back