Solid wood floor - how big an expansion gap..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to lay a new floor – I’ve done laminate before, but not solid wood. I note that the ‘standard’ advice is to attach each piece to the sub-floor, but I like the sound of the floating method, which I note WoodYouLike (who seems to know what he’s talking about) seems to favour. (in fact, I think this is the only option, as the sub-floor is vinyl tiles badly laid onto concrete and I hope to just hide it all…)

My questions (at this stage..!) are how big an expansion gap – the room is about 7m by 4m and I see on another thread that WYL has mentioned 3mm gap per metre, so:-

1. I’m guessing that the wood moves less along its length than its width, so if I lay it lengthways up the room, ie so the planks run the 7m direction, presumably I don’t need 21mm at each end? This would result in the need for very thick skirting board (the existing, thinner than this, has been removed for re-skimming of walls).

2. What happens if I leave enough gap all round for expansion and it turns out that the wood, when I lay it, is in its ‘expanded’ form (eg time of year, level of humidity at the time, etc) and then shrinks after a while? I risk ending up with great holes along the edge by the skirting board.

Thanks for your help – only just found this site last night and will certainly be back for more!

Sponsored Links
We've put some Rules of Thumb in this article:
Solid Floors - what to note

Keep the same width of expansion gap all around and calculate the needed width based on the width of the room, not the length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back