Solid wood flooring expansion gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay solid wood flooring in my kitchen/diner which is roughly square with a corner taken off. Thing is I have a pair of double doors into the lounge at one end with a floor level threshold (no step whatsoever) and uPVC french doors at the other with a low threshold.
For neatness, I'd like to run the planks parallel to the thresholds with short ends facing towards the wall.
I know I have to leave expansion gaps at the short ends - can I get away with not leaving an expansion gap at one or both of the thresholds?

Room size is roughly 4.5m square, planks are 1200x130mm-ish
(Costco have a deal on at the end of March which works out about £20/sqm)

Sponsored Links
Not advisable, although wood doesn't expand much lengthways it is best to leave some room to move there too.
Solutions: coloured mastic (flexible filler) to make it a neat finish or installing a flat beading on top of the expansion gap.

Thanks!

While I'm thinking of it I'll be having a couple of 3"x3" pillars in roughly the middle of the room to hold a radiator - expansion gap around those or no?

Can I bias the expansion gap one way? One side of the room will be lined with kitchen units so I could have a large gap under them without it looking unsightly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

While I'm thinking of it I'll be having a couple of 3"x3" pillars in roughly the middle of the room to hold a radiator - expansion gap around those or no?
Expansion gaps around everything is the best way forward. If the wood expands anything that's holding it back is a source of larger problems than needed.

Can I bias the expansion gap one way? One side of the room will be lined with kitchen units so I could have a large gap under them without it looking unsightly.
Don't say I didn't warn you if it does go wrong, but I'll leave the ultimate decision with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back