Did I do the right thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The initial plan was to remove the old plaster (1910 stone built home) where it was loose and either overboard or drop the ceilings where required. It was old lathe and plaster.

Well in the end I had all the old plaster removed from all walls - in and around the door frames some of the bricks have come loose and though the walls are solid - was taking off the old plaster- making a bigger jobs than necessary than just skimming over the old plaster?

Now the whole house will be getting new plasterboard.

Can I add loft type insulation underneath the first floor which is not exposed from below as the ceiling has been removed.

Sponsored Links
Shoulda woulda coulda- if bits of the old plaster were loose then skimming might not have been successful.
Unfortunately, now you've hacked the walls back to brick building regs require that you consider insulating the walls to modern (refurb) standards. You do have wiggle room (if the rooms are very small is the main getout).
Are you wanting to put insulation in the ground floor ceiling? Usual reason for doing that is to reduce noise nuisance between downstairs and upstairs, thermally you generally heat the bedrooms as well so heat going up through theceiling isn't necessarily wasted.

Shoulda woulda coulda- if bits of the old plaster were loose then skimming might not have been successful.
Unfortunately, now you've hacked the walls back to brick building regs require that you consider insulating the walls to modern (refurb) standards. You do have wiggle room (if the rooms are very small is the main getout).
Are you wanting to put insulation in the ground floor ceiling? Usual reason for doing that is to reduce noise nuisance between downstairs and upstairs, thermally you generally heat the bedrooms as well so heat going up through theceiling isn't necessarily wasted.

It's a terraced house - so there is no point insulating the ground floor ceiling as the heat will rise into the first floor. I will just need some quality insulation in the loft.

In the stud walls that have all been exposed can I just use loft insulation?

Sponsored Links
If you've got enough depth then yes. You need to do some U value sums, looking in the area of 80mm of PIR or 150mm of rockwool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back