Did I lay this patio correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was putting patio stones not cementing them in onto soil. The ground wasn't level so I rsked back and forth. Dug out the high end and raised the lower end with soil. Put the stones on . Tezted to see if they rocked by standing on the corners then rocking myself. Then if they rocked put some soil under the lower bit. Couldn't get them all level with each other though. Does it matter?

I guess on sand and cement it matters
20190411_161250.jpg
20190411_161154.jpg
20190411_135319.jpg
20190411_161131.jpg

Sponsored Links
It’s ok if it’s for your own bins or shed, but if I payed someone to do it id want them straight and solid.

Is it for the plastic shed? It might not be very happy on an uneven base, depends how strong the floor is

Is it for the plastic shed? It might not be very happy on an uneven base, depends how strong the floor is
Yes it is.

Out of interest, how would you get all the different slabs at the same level? For example if one's a bit higher than the one next to it

Sponsored Links
You would knock them down onto sand and cement with a rubber mallet.

Probably not, i came across this many times in my professional paving career.

Plastic shed on this will not work if its one of these thati put up at work.
The base needs to be perfect to build it.

View attachment 162663

So u reckon I should have just levelled soil or hit the slabs down with a rubber mallet like mattylad recommended?

I put my shed on railway sleepers, which sit on 3x2 slabs. I leveled the soil, compressed it the best I could without machinery, laid a dry mix of sand and cement and then laid slabs on top. Took a bit of time getting them level but this was done by moving the dry mix around. Within a few days it was solid and level... two years later it's still solid and level.

I'd prep the ground a bit better by tamping/flattening the soil and laying a dry mix of sand and cement (4:1). Lay slabs then allow ground moisture to harden the mixture.

I put my shed on railway sleepers, which sit on 3x2 slabs. I leveled the soil, compressed it the best I could without machinery, laid a dry mix of sand and cement and then laid slabs on top. Took a bit of time getting them level but this was done by moving the dry mix around. Within a few days it was solid and level... two years later it's still solid and level.

I'd prep the ground a bit better by tamping/flattening the soil and laying a dry mix of sand and cement (4:1). Lay slabs then allow ground moisture to harden the mixture.

I think a dry mix of sand and cement is the best way to lay patios or so I heard. Better than dob and dab.

How thick was your mixture on top of soil? Did you bother with grout?

I think a dry mix of sand and cement is the best way to lay patios or so I heard. Better than dob and dab.

How thick was your mixture on top of soil? Did you bother with grout?

For your intended use it will be fine. I don't think dot and dob is acceptable on any type of patio really given there are weak spots where the concrete is absent.

I probably put on around ½" thick coating over a 10' x 8' area, although compacting and leveling the ground is just as important. For this intended use there's no need to grout -- I just brushed the dry mix into the small gaps between slabs and lightly sprayed over with hose pipe on mist.

For your intended use it will be fine. I don't think dot and dob is acceptable on any type of patio really given there are weak spots where the concrete is absent.

I probably put on around ½" thick coating over a 10' x 8' area, although compacting and leveling the ground is just as important. For this intended use there's no need to grout -- I just brushed the dry mix into the small gaps between slabs and lightly sprayed over with hose pipe on mist.
How long before you can walk on it?

Out of interest, how do you make a proper patio with hard core etc

How long before you can walk on it?

Out of interest, how do you make a proper patio with hard core etc

I walked on it next day, it's fine as long as the ground is level and even (so the slabs can't move).

As for the patio, if it's going to be one which takes the weight of people, lots of foot traffic and daily use then you should use hardcore. Dig down 6", cover with a 4" layer of compacted hardcore then it's just a case of pouring the cement on top (~1" thick) and laying slabs as you go along.

You use a rubber mallet to tap and level them, sinking them a little way (not much) into the concrete. Leave small gap between them and then leave it to set for 24-48 hours. When set you can then fill the gaps with sand or a sand/cement mix brushed in.

I walked on it next day, it's fine as long as the ground is level and even (so the slabs can't move).

As for the patio, if it's going to be one which takes the weight of people, lots of foot traffic and daily use then you should use hardcore. Dig down 6", cover with a 4" layer of compacted hardcore then it's just a case of pouring the cement on top (~1" thick) and laying slabs as you go along.

You use a rubber mallet to tap and level them, sinking them a little way (not much) into the concrete. Leave small gap between them and then leave it to set for 24-48 hours. When set you can then fill the gaps with sand or a sand/cement mix brushed in.

It's gotta be wet cement on hardcore, a dry mix wouldn't work . And don't dot and dab as they rock over time I guess this can be mixed on a piece of woodor barrow if it's only an inch thick. Would u agree?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back