Difference in costs between neighbouring BC's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking to get regularisation for 20 windows fitted without Fensa certificate.

Barnet, where I am based, charge £144 per every 5 windows or part.i.e. £576 total.

The neighbouring borough Brent BC charge £265, for up to 20 windows.

The discrepancy in price seems scandalous to me. Is there any way I can get Brent BC to inspect and regularise instead of Barnet?

Sponsored Links
You cannot use another authority's inspector as they are only able to provide inspections in their own area.

You can use an 'Approved Inspector' (ie private and no LA) though who may be more competitive. If you get a some prices from some approved inspectors and then speak with your local authority they may even match the price as Building control departments are now competing with the private (approved) inspectors so need to run at a profit.

http://www.cic.org.uk/services/airegister.shtml#Ind
http://approvedinspectors.org.uk/members-directory/

Or just google for 'approved inspectors' in your area.

Thanks for your help Freddy.

It still seems unfair for one BC to charge double the other!

Do you think there might be any issue with asking my BC to inspect only the first floor row of windows (<10)? The lower windows were part of the same installation, but the bay supports only a flat roof, and the lintels have been untouched. So I have no structural concerns with them.

As mentioned Local authority's now have to compete with Private inspectors so can charge what they like. A homeowner has no obligation to use them they can just use a private inspector if they wish.

Anyway if you want to get Regs approval for your windows then you will have to pay for them to 'inspect' all of the windows you want approval for.

Sponsored Links
It still seems unfair for one BC to charge double the other!

Do you mean just like the way that all the LA's set different community charge bills, and have different services and standards?

Do you think that someone at the council may be thinking "Well why didn't you get them FENSA installed in the first place and not pay our extortionate charges?"

Do you mean just like the way that all the LA's set different community charge bills, and have different services and standards?

Pray describe the 'different standards' that Barnet BC employ to Brent BC that entitles them to charge nearly double. Are their standards in regularising windows installations nearly double as high? Do they use their Low-E detectors for twice as long?

Do you think that someone at the council may be thinking "Well why didn't you get them FENSA installed in the first place and not pay our extortionate charges?"

If you are correct in your speculation, then there is no reason 'someone' at Brent BC isn't thinking the same as their counterpart in Barnet BC. It still doesn't justify charging so much more.

In any case, if you'd read any of my other posts, you would have known that I am not someone who deliberately sought to avoid BR compliance (if anything the opposite). I am the victim of an unscrupulous cowboy builder who has been withholding the Fensa registration from me as a bargaining chip. I DID make sure to specify he use a Fensa fitter. We are just now enmeshed in a sticky dispute. That is why I am considering alternative methods of obtaining the relevant certification

Approved Inspectors cannot take on Regularisations, so you're stuck with the Barnet's charges. No way around it once the works are underway/complete.

Pray describe the 'different standards' that Barnet BC employ to Brent BC that entitles them to charge nearly double. Are their standards in regularising windows installations nearly double as high? Do they use their Low-E detectors for twice as long?

A few examples may be - more inspectors available, more inspection slots, more advice available, a comprehensive document management system with free access to archives, good liaison with builders and agents via presentations, increased customer care etc etc.

The fees cover the costs of the service provided and are not some random figure

a comprehensive document management system with free access to archives

Nice try Woody but...
Building Regulation search fees are £82.00 per application (non refundable) plus copying, faxing and postage (see below)
and
Any payments made by credit card will be charged and additional cost of 2.8% (82.00 plus 2.8% equals to £84.30

Reproduction of maps and drawings
AO / A1/ -£16.00
A2 - £12.00
A3 - £7.50
A4 - £6.00

http://www.barnet.gov.uk/index/housing/building-control.htm

I guess I just have the misfortune of being in a borough with a money-grabbing LABC!

You asked what could possibly make up the different costs between two councils

I have not got a clue how your local councils make up their charges or itemised them, but the examples given, and many others, play a part

You could always not pay the fees to the council and use the money to enforce your rights with your original contractor or FENSA to provide you with the documentation you are after.

Then you are not giving any money to the money grabbing BC team, and can sleep happily

What about finding a friendly DG installer and pay him to remove, refit, and certify your windows. But tell him you want it done very cheap. And that you'll be at work when he does it...

I have not got a clue how your local councils make up their charges or itemised them, but the examples given, and many others, play a part

AFAIK, since October 2010 local authority BC base their fees on an average hourly rate across the BCOs, with some nominal admin and management charges thrown in.

Could be that Barnet just pay their BCOs more, or think inspecting windows take a lot more time than Brent do. 'Technically', BC depts can't make a profit over a 3 year period, so you'd think the numbers add up somewhere.

I am the victim of an unscrupulous cowboy builder who has been withholding the Fensa registration from me as a bargaining chip. I DID make sure to specify he use a Fensa fitter. We are just now enmeshed in a sticky dispute. That is why I am considering alternative methods of obtaining the relevant certification
So do I take it you haven't paid the full amount yet ?

If they still want money from you, then you have the upper hand. Tell the installer that unless they provide the certificate within a set time (give them a reasonable time like 3 weeks), you are holding them as being in breach of contract, that you will be taking the alternative route of going through LABC, and will deduct the costs of that from what you owe them.

If you specified at the time of placing the contract that these were to be registered through their FENSA scheme, then they are in breach of contract by not doing so. In such cases, you are required to give them the opportunity to remedy any breach, but if they fail to do so then you are entitled to have the problem dealt with by someone else (in this case, notifying via LABC).

BTW - have you taken it up with FENSA ? What did they say ?

Alternatively, and don't take my word for it, just wait. A lot of threads on here seem to end up along the lines of "after <x> amount of time, BC can't do anything - just buy indemnity insurance when you come to sell". Unless I'm misunderstood what people are saying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back