What exactly do LABC inspect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had 20 windows installed in the last year. Despite my contractor insisting otherwise, it now seems likely that the firm he used were not Fensa-registered. Worryingly, he has not even given me their name or contact details, so I have no idea which glazing firm were used, or if they were any good. What I do know is that the windows are not date-marked or BS kitemarked.

I am not all that concerned about the thermal qualities of the windows - they came with Pilkington k stickers on - and anyway I could just buy a Merlin Lazer low-e detector for about £65 to set my mind at rest.

I am more concerned about the structural quality of the installation. Am I correct that structurally speaking, adequate support is most important with bay windows? - in which case I am quite worried about my downstairs bay (5 polygonal windows) having been fitted correctly.

My LABC (Barnet) charge £144 per each set of 5 windows inspected. I have had lots of stories of inspectors coming along and giving a glance then signing the windows off. Obviously this does not appeal to me in the slightest as it would not address my concerns re the structural safety.

However, can someone clarify if the LABC would inspect the structural quality? Is it even possible to do so retrospectively? Would they want to expose and inspect the lintel? If they would do this then I would consider the £144 money well spent.

Many thanks to all, as usual.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back