No Fensa cert; is LABC fee worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had about 20 windows fitted last year by our contractor and still not rec'd FENSA cert (still in dispute with him about some other issues and he claims to be witholding the registration).

I am not looking to sell house for a long time. However, I want (a) peace of mind that installation was done properly (b) if cracks appear etc we have some comeback with insurance etc.

LABC will charge £576 (!!) to inspect our windows. Seems like a lot of ££.

Is it worth it? Will their inspection (a) confirm it was installed properly [if it was] (b) provide me comeback in event of problems? Or will we be no better off?

All advice gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
LABC will charge £576 (!!) to inspect our windows. Seems like a lot of ££.
You sure you got that right? May be worth checking! My LABC charge £200. Phone a few local 'approved inspectors' and get some other quotes, you don't need to use an LABC.

An inspector is going to (or should) have a glance at the windows and maybe get is glass sensor out to check the glass is Low E. He may well expect some paperwork/certification from the supplier/manufacturer to prove what U Value the windows achieve. He will expect trickle vents in all the windows too. Any low level or similarly vulnerable areas of glass need to be toughened.

If any windows that were fitted were wider than the existing or were bay windows the BCO will need to be satisfied that the necessary structural alterations were carried out if required. Same applies if you replaced timber windows in some older properties that used to rely on the frames for structural support.

You will likely have an issue if you come to sell although often this can be dealt with with a (say) £100 indemnity insurance.

I doubt your insurance would be of any use, they would surely expect you to claim off the fitter if any problem occurred? And he is not likely to register you with his insurance (assuming he offers an insurance backed warranty that is) whilst you are in dispute.

Have you been on the Fensa site to see if he's registered your property yet? http://www.fensa.co.uk/asp/certificate.asp

We presume he is actually Fensa registered? You can check here http://www.fensa.co.uk/asp/member_search.asp

Well that's the gist of it anyway. :p

Barnet labc charge 144 per each set of 5 windows. we have 20. I don't see the logic of charging so much,but then again this is a borough where visitor parking permits used to cost a quid and now cost 4. I will try and find approved inspectors, can you recommend any?

I bought a Merlin sensor myself for 70 and all windows have low e coating.

they also all have trickle vents.

we have no paperwork from the manufacturer, in fact contractor has not even provided a supplier name for us to verify firm is indeed Fensa registered.

5 windows were fitted in a bay but the bay supports only a flat roof and the lintel above, supporting the first floor bedroom, appears untouched. don't know if labc will
take my word for it.

all old windows were wooden. how would labc satisfy themselves that new windows provide adequate support?

contractor told me the firm he would use was Fensa registered before we fell out. so I assume he was telling the truth. unfortunately he now sees this as a bargaining chip and is refusing to disclose any information until I settle what he believes is his ouststanding bill. a bill he never bothered to chase up for a year. Anyway, as I don't know the glazing firms name I have no way of checking online. Contractor says you can register a job whenever you want and if I settle his bill he may arrange for job to be reported to Fensa. I posted my query on this forum to see if I could achieve a similar result by using labc rather than Fensa.

The contractor can not lawfully withhold a FENSA certificate as part of any dispute with you.

He has to register the work or is in breach of the scheme, let alone breach of contract with you

Sponsored Links
The contractor can not lawfully withhold a FENSA certificate as part of any dispute with you.

He has to register the work or is in breach of the scheme, let alone breach of contract with you

Just to clarify - I used a building contractor who in turn hired a glazing firm - is it the building contractor or the glazing firm who needs to register the work?

So what involvement have your LABC had in the rest of the development. It would be bonkers for the builder to have faffed about with a Fensa fitter when he was already paying LAB to inspect. They don't give a discount if you use a Fensa fitter as part of an extension you know? So I would say you've probably already paid BC to do this. Have you spoken to them? Have you had your Building Regs Cert yet from LABC yet? Presumably not?

Plymouth charge £134 for up to 4 windows and anything (ie as many as you like) over this is £200. What authority are you with?

Just to clarify - I used a building contractor who in turn hired a glazing firm - is it the building contractor or the glazing firm who needs to register the work?

The FENSA registered firm who did the fitting has to register the FENSA work (ie self certify) with the scheme which in turn records the work with the council

This is all separate to any sub-contract or other contractual arrangement between you and your builder

However, this wont help you if you cant get the name of the firm from your builder to enable you to check for FENSA registration of the firm.

However you can tell to the builder that you require the certification as part of your contract, otherwise you will notify the local trading standards of their business practice (effectively blackmail and intimidation) and also seek redress via a civil claim ... and state that this is all separate to your other dispute

freddy,

labc were notified of a separate job,a rear extension,which they certified.

they were not notified about any other jobs - the ch and Electrics were self certified by the respective workmen. labc have no involvement with the windows.

labc is Barnet - I'm posting this on my phone,otherwise would have provided the link

Oddly enough just got FENSA cert in the post. The job was notified in Jan 2012 that it had been carried out in Aug 2010! Anyway, I'm not complaining now that I've finally got it.

Newham Council have charged me £526.18 to come and inspect and then refuse because of no trickle vents - despite the replaced windows not having them before!

And now our solicitor can't or won't offer indemnity as it shows on the local search that the council have refused due to non-compliance!

At our wits end with this!

Newham Council have charged me £526.18 to come and inspect and then refuse because of no trickle vents - despite the replaced windows not having them before!

And now our solicitor can't or won't offer indemnity as it shows on the local search that the council have refused due to non-compliance!

At our wits end with this!

I'd have a word with whoever told them about the windows...

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back