fensa certs

9 Sep 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I have been reading all the posts about fensa certs, can anyone solve this.
We have sold our house and have just recieved off the solicitor that they require the fensa certificate, the buyer is buying for cash, we didnt recieve a certificate and when we had our windows fitted about 6 months ago we were unaware of this FENSA, i have checked the guarantee which we still have. I have rang the company and the line is dead...... :mad:
Yet when we decided on them we knew they had been around for some time, Not that silly. Anyway the windows have bs6206 on them, does that mean they are legal? If the buyer is buying for cash, do i still need to supply a cert as they are happy to continue? If they do not come up to scratch in the legal requirements will we have to get them replaced again? :mad: :cry: :confused:
Sponsored Links
I’m sorry you are yet another victim of this fiasco; so many cowboy, DG companies are not FENSA registered & don’t advise their customers that they need to get a certificate of conformance from their local council BC. Even the ones that are registered sometimes drag their feet in getting the necessary certificate issued; what’s even worse in my opinion is that the ODPM, who introduced the legislation. don’t seem interested in doing anything about it!

At the end of the day, if your buyer has cash it’s entirely up to him if he wants to proceed without any form of warranty that the installation conforms to spec. If they are trying to get a mortgage however, it could be a different story as most lenders won’t advance the money until they get the green light that all is in order from the solicitor. Your cash buyer may also use the lack of any certificate as an excuse to lop a few grand of the agreed price!

If your windows were made by one of the larger manufacturers (most DG company’s no longer make their own windows, even the larger ones!) you’re probably OK & they should be compliant. If you can no longer trace your DG company, your first port of call should be to talk to your local council BC dept. explain the situation & get them to inspect with a view to providing a certificate of conformity, but you will have to pay a fee.
Thankyou richard, i couldnt believe it when i initially discovered this website just how many issues there are with this, bizarre, yet there is nobody actually interested in the issues it raises, however the local councils obviously do well out of it.

Thanks again for your advice i shall be contacting the council first thing tomorrow. What a disaster! Its best to just get it sorted.
Sponsored Links
just incase anyone has had similar issues having spoken to my solicitor i was advised against the council inspection as it can cause delays also it is cheaper to get indemnity insurance for lack of building consent, a majority of mortgage lenders find that acceptable aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local