No Fensa cert for new windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We had our windows replaced recently by a local company.
I noticed the listed address was a house nearby and saw a logod van outside the property a few times when I drove by, so we got a quote and it was reasonable compared to some others, so we paid a deposit.
The guy who came and measured, quoted and took deposit, etc, told us we would get a fensa cert in post 6-8 weeks after install.
They fitted windows about a month later, we were totally happy with quality and the workmanship, and so paid in full.

That was in June but still no fensa cert.

So midway thru august I rang the window company to chase it up, no reply so left message. Few days later they hadnt got back so i mailed them.
Since then I have sent a dozen mails and made over a dozen calls and still no answer and no contact back.
I even emailed them from a different address enquiring about a new quote for another property address (my mothers) incase they were ignoring me in particular for some reason, but they have not even replied to that email.

So I emailed fensa who said there is no record of my work on their database and to keep trying to contact the installer.
But it looks to me due to the lack of contact as they might have gone under? I have not seen the logod van outside the house for a few weeks now when passing.

I know the guys address and could call in, but its not as if they just took my money and ran or did a crappy job, we did get what we paid for, and if they have gone under i cant see him being bothered to help with this at all, and so dont see the point in calling to the house and kicking off...

Anyone know where does this leave me now with regards to my fensa cert and if we ever come to sell up?

Sponsored Links
three options I believe

option one if you decide to sell you could contact local building control explain the situation to them they will allow you to apply for a retro application and they will inspect and issue building control cert. fee payable to local building control.

option two

I am sure you can still do this but a solicitor would advise you better
when completing your conveyancing you pay an insurance premium to cover the installation works that do not have a compliance certificate this then exonerates you in the event of a problem.

Option three walk up the street knock on the guys door explain you have not had your cert and see if he can help you.
up to press this is your cheapest option to start with.
Its not a case of taken your money and ran,but they have failed in their duties to notify the installation.

and will prevent you from selling your house under the goverment scheme where you need a homeowners information pack (HIP)
without either a cert or option 1 or2

I really would not worry about it.

All current windows will conform to current standards, and if they have been fitted properly, and you are happy then what is the problem?

It wont stop any future house sale.

If need be, you pay about £50 for a [totally worthless] indemnity policy when you sell. Or you get a buyer with common sense and its a non-issue

The whole concept of notifying new window installation is all nonsense and pointless. If they have been done properly, then thats it

Were you offered the opportunity to purchase insurance?
FENSA membership means they should offer you the chance to buy insurance that will maintain your warranty in the event of the company going bust.
If you have this insurance then that might be another avenue.

Of course, we were never offered it...

Sponsored Links
I really would not worry about it.

All current windows will conform to current standards, and if they have been fitted properly, and you are happy then what is the problem?

It wont stop any future house sale.

If need be, you pay about £50 for a [totally worthless] indemnity policy when you sell. Or you get a buyer with common sense and its a non-issue

The whole concept of notifying new window installation is all nonsense and pointless. If they have been done properly, then thats it

It isn't a 'non-issue' when your buyers lenders refuse to release funds on a mortgage due to their being no FENSA cert! Council refused the retrospective cert because of no trickle vents (even though old windows didn't have them), and solicitor can't/won't offer indemnity because it shows on the LA search that they have refused. This is happening to us right now and is preventing our sale going through

I know this is an old issue but thought I would share my experience.

Bought a house earlier this year and moved in beginning of July 13.

I had had all my double glazing windows installed by a builder friend (xFENSA) and a few wonderful doors.

Basically any change to the air-tightness of the property needs some level of sign off (Kyoto!). So windows and doors certainly need this.

I knew this would be needed at some point but had always waited until I moved house to sort out. I asked the solicitor (conveyancer) should I pay for an indemnity insurance or pay the council to inspect. He said the latter was best every time so I took his advice.

I called the council and worked out I had to complete an online planning application (even though it was completed) and then called them and paid them £178.56 and they came round, inspected and issued a Building Completion Certificate within a few days.

Job done and in terms of the cost of buying another house the cost of the BCC was nothing. The buyer of my house was a solicitor so that could have got problematic too.

The council guy queried why I hadn't applied for the council to inspect when they were installed and I explained that I had them done in 5 or 6 batches over 8 years. He said he had building jobs that had gone on longer than that!

Anyway the moral is get good quality windows you like fitted by someone you trust with the windows bought from a reputable place and get them signed off at some point.

Incidentally my new house has fully Fensa'ed windows that pale in comparison with the previous house. They are leaky and whistley!

Council refused the retrospective cert because of no trickle vents (even though old windows didn't have them)

When we had our windows fitted we didn't want the trickle vent in the lounge as they became so full of cobwebs and spiders they couldn't function.

Our builder told us if needed in the future for sign off etc we could have them added on. Can't see how hard that is to do but never tried. Obviously it wasn't an issue for our sign off in the end.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back