Differences between 90 degrees and 30 degrees?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I set my washer dryer at 30 degrees, it's quite wet and not that hot.

If I set my washer dryer at 90 degrees, would that make the clothes hotter?

I would of though it's better to set my clothes at 30 degrees rather then 90 degrees?

There is a option of a cold wash, but it's still quite wet and cold.

I think I need to dry the clothes for 3 hours which seems kinda long?

Sponsored Links
I set my washer dryer at 30 degrees, it's quite wet and not that hot.
Indeed 30 degrees is a cool water temperature. You wouldn't want to take a shower in 30 degree water. (Body temperature is 37 degrees C)

If I set my washer dryer at 90 degrees, would that make the clothes hotter?
Yes, it would during the washing cycle because that's only 10 degrees below boiling. However, usually washing machines rinse with cold water, so the clothes will be cold after the complete wash rinse cycle has finished. And not all garments will take kindly to the high temperature.

I would of though it's better to set my clothes at 30 degrees rather then 90 degrees?
That will depend upon the garments. Check their Wash Labels. The lower wash temperatures came about to save energy and as detergents became able to wash at lower temperatures. Although some recommend a minimum water temperature of 60 degrees to kill germs.

There is a option of a cold wash, but it's still quite wet and cold.
Indeed! The clue is in the name, what else did you expect?

I think I need to dry the clothes for 3 hours which seems kinda long?
It depends how you are drying them, if you use the dryer facility of your machine it does seem a bit long, if it's outside on a washing line it will depend upon the weather. If it's on a radiator.....well just don't.

Much will depend upon the spin speed when the washing cycle finishes, the faster the spin the more water will be removed before the drying process starts as such.

Robert

The temperature setting sets the water temperature that the clothes are washed in.
It does not set the Dryer temperature.
Clothes should not be washed hotter than it says on their label.
If you do wash at a higher temperature the clothes will be damaged (shrink, holes and colour loss).

Using a higher water temp in the wash cycle, will not mean they will dry quicker in the dryer cycle.
Only thing that reduces drying is the clothes being dryer before drying cycle starts -> hence you could use a higher/faster spin cycle.
The dryer cycle will always take a relatively long time.

SFK

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back